Kindle readers

Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

I have the Kindle my husband bought for me last year. It has 3G & WiFi and was $189 at the time. I can download books anywhere. Love love love it. For reading I like the screen on this one because it doesn't glare and I can use it in any light. Friends have the Nook and you have to hold it certain ways to avoid the glare. I'm going to get the Kindle Fire for Christmas because it's a tablet and has a lot more capability. Will still use the original Kindle for books. Amazon has a lot of free books so be sure to check for those.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM
lbc

My daughter surprised me with a 3G Kindle after I visited her and she saw my suitcase filled with books. I love it.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

I have a Kindle. Love it. But will be getting the new Kindle Fire when it comes out. The old one will go to my DMIL. Any book I download will also go to her Kindle.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
I have a Kindle. Kindle is proprietary which means you have to purchase books from Amazon - or convert books purchased from Barnes & Nobel through a free online site called Calibre. I have not used Calibre yet so I can't say if it is easy or hard or if it even works. Books are priced about the same on Amazon as at Barnes & Nobel. There are thousands of free books available too that will load on to Kindle. You can get thousands of 'classics' at gutenberg.com for any e-reader you purchase. Keep in mind if you purchase a Nook or another brand, you may not be able to down load books from Amazon.
Having an e-reader that is back lit (like a computer screen) makes it easier to read in bed, but the bright light may actually keep you awake longer. There are lights that will clip on to your e-reader making it much more like reading a printed page.
If you can go to Barnes & Nobel and look at what they have, it might help you decide. Do your research to find what features you might like and who has the best price. Good luck and enjoy your new e-reader.
I've used Calibre to convert my kindle and ereader books to nook format. (I don't have to anymore since I converted my nook color to a tablet). It was pretty easy to convert the books.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM

I have a Kindle 3G and Wi-Fi - bought it in July - love it. I like the long battery life. I don't mind the black and white screen at all. I was reading about the Kindle Fire and it seems like with all of the bells and whistles that it would spend a good amount of time on a charger. Love mine and I have already read so many books and just started experimenting with the Library (have 2 library books so far) and it works out great!

Marysewfun
Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM

I have a PANDIGITAL Novel...got it at HH Gregg on sale for $149.00. I can read, play games, and get on the internet...kinda like an I-Pad, but it's the size of the Kindle. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Right now I have over 300 books on it. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM

I have one & love it. Mine is the one with special offers &
wi-fi
Check on e-bay
All the books I have on mine were free
There are lots of free ones because I couldn't afford to buy books because I read everyday now you can download from your library at no charge
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Here's a link for the kindle users:
http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

it's a safe link. I use it to find cheap and free kindle books.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM

I have an IPAD and I downloaded the Kinde app. Then I went to Amazon.com and looked up quilting books. You can purchase a book or the kindle version - usually for about 1/2 price. Ex. Kim Schaeffer's Calendar Quilt book is in Kindle format and I think it was $7.99 and the paper one was 16.97.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I went to Staples today and looked at some they had on display. they had three six inch ones and one 9.5 inch one. of course i preferred the larger one but it was $349.00 , the Kindle DX.
I will look around more because i'm not paying that much.