Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Congratulations. That must take lots of commitment on your part. I wish you continued Success Missy.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Jholm, I think I would strive for healthy eating and not focus on the scale at this point. I would say don't be a skeleton because if you ever get sick, you don't have the extra fat to help you through then. Hmmmm I wonder if I ever weighed 103? Not in this lifetime I am sure.

I had a nice drop in weight today. I hope it stays away and continues in the down direction all week. Today I am meeting friends for quilting. It is a potluck, I promise to continue small portions. That is what I have found to be my success. No seconds on soup, small bites at lunch. etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 AM

It is slow coming off. Sitting at my sewing machine isn't the same as walking outside. Will try to do both today. Good luck to everyone.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 AM

Leann - Thanks to everyone who commented on topics for Josh. I am adding them all to a list for him to consider. He has to submit his topic next Friday, so he has time to consider his choices. Yes,mim and Murphy1,thank you - he is brilliant. He is on track to graduate as Valedictorian in May. He is a student of the International Baccalaureate program; takes the hardest classes offered; has a 5.5 gpa on a 6.0 scale; will graduate with 7 math credits and 6 science - all IB ranked classes. He works damn hard.

Would love to know what Josh selects as his topic. Whatever, I am sure he will have fun with it. Have a great day.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Lynne, I keep coming back to my son's passion for Josh. Much more than ten years ago - the Civil War. A sad time when Americans fought Americans - and for what? Cheaper cotton? And so many in the Southern states aren't over the loss yet.

Jeanne, 120 is a wonderful number unless you are four feet tall. Embrace it, continue the exercise to become the best 120 you can be, but leave the 103 to the teenagers. How tall are you?

The formula that has worked me for years was 100 pounds for everyone, then 5 pounds for every inch over 5 feet. So 5'8" allowed me 140 pounds and there's no way I weighed anywhere near that except in the last stages of pregnancy - and the first one I didn't hit that. Now before most of you say that's an unreachable goal, add 5 pounds for every decade after 25. I have lived 4 decades past 25 (+), so I get another 20+ pounds. At 5'5 1/2" now, I can weigh 127 1/2, plus my age related 20 for a total of 147 1/2 pound. That would be a reasonable goal except I am small boned, so 138 to 140 is better. Will I get there? Maybe? Will I get to and hold 145? Yes!! Sure hope I don't lose any more in height.

My weight is holding, but higher than it was before I was sick. Grrr. How many days to the end of the month? I wrote 2 1/2 pounds for this month's projected loss. Time to get serious. Back to myfitnesspal.

I started squaring the embroidered blocks for the bazaar quilt last night and I don't have 12. Another Grrr. It may end up a square instead of a rectangle.

Have a healthy clean eating day everyone. Love hearing of your losses. Even if a loss isn't currently happening, we are becoming aware of what's going in our bodies and that's to the good. Taboo Tuesday? - I am still on last week - controlling snacks as this week doesn't apply to me.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 AM

:thumbup: :D :thumbup: Congratulations, Missy, on your new found freedom.

Gelswood, That's good to hear. For once it nice to say, "I've joined the losers."

Doris and evaeli5252, you can join us in posting anytime and sign up for the challenge next month. We welcome your posts now.

Rita's mom, I never went to sleep when my children were out. I'm glad you heard from her. My waiting up days were before cell phones and texts.

Min, :thumbup: You stopped at half a can! Those things are addicting, but they have gluten in them so I'm safe.

Murphy1, nothing tastes as good as seeing the scales drop feels. Good for you!

marscrafter, Healthy eating and staying on your plan is a real plus.

MJ, how is your weather? Can you go sit in the sun with your bare feet in the grass and let the Earth's electromagnetic rays send their healing power? Supposedly sitting with your feet on concrete has the same effect. I hope so - it's less buggy and I can't be in the sun too long.

Off to use another of my Christmas presents - another massage. My children are such sweethearts.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 AM

I like your formula for weight - so I am 5'9" tall and am 65, therefore I will shoot for 165. This will be a long journey but all of you are so motivating, I know I can do it. Happy with weight loss so far and with everyones support this journey will be a pleasant one.

Originally Posted by irishrose
Lynne, I keep coming back to my son's passion for Josh. Much more than ten years ago - the Civil War. A sad time when Americans fought Americans - and for what? Cheaper cotton? And so many in the Southern states aren't over the loss yet.

Jeanne, 120 is a wonderful number unless you are four feet tall. Embrace it, continue the exercise to become the best 120 you can be, but leave the 103 to the teenagers. How tall are you?

The formula that has worked me for years was 100 pounds for everyone, then 5 pounds for every inch over 5 feet. So 5'8" allowed me 140 pounds and there's no way I weighed anywhere near that except in the last stages of pregnancy - and the first one I didn't hit that. Now before most of you say that's an unreachable goal, add 5 pounds for every decade after 25. I have lived 4 decades past 25 (+), so I get another 20+ pounds. At 5'5 1/2" now, I can weigh 127 1/2, plus my age related 20 for a total of 147 1/2 pound. That would be a reasonable goal except I am small boned, so 138 to 140 is better. Will I get there? Maybe? Will I get to and hold 145? Yes!! Sure hope I don't lose any more in height.

My weight is holding, but higher than it was before I was sick. Grrr. How many days to the end of the month? I wrote 2 1/2 pounds for this month's projected loss. Time to get serious. Back to myfitnesspal.

I started squaring the embroidered blocks for the bazaar quilt last night and I don't have 12. Another Grrr. It may end up a square instead of a rectangle.

Have a healthy clean eating day everyone. Love hearing of your losses. Even if a loss isn't currently happening, we are becoming aware of what's going in our bodies and that's to the good. Taboo Tuesday? - I am still on last week - controlling snacks as this week doesn't apply to me.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

I walked today at the thrift store and the quilt store. I am out of breath but resting. I got 3 pieces of scrap material at $2 ea and one spool of hand quilting thread for $5.

I am still awaiting the news from docs regarding the coumadin dilemma. It feels good not to take it, though.

I hope to sew this afternoon. It means getting up and moving, which would be a good thing.

Missy, I am so very proud of you! That is quite a graduation!

Jeanne, 120 is a good weight. I think you need to concentrate on health instead of numbers.

Remember, the purpose of our weight loss is to get healthier, not to have a special size or number.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 AM

MJ, in therory I agree with you on the goal of health instead of weight or size, but my mental health depends on a certain size. Being overweight is depressing to me. Hate to blame my ills on my mother, but if the shoe fits...... My father's sisters were tall and slim until they were 18, then their weight skyrocketing to well over 300. It happened to them and to their daughters, my cousins. My mother did not want to see it happen to me as I was tall like my aunts, so she watched my weight like a hawk, probably to the point of obsession. What's imprinted in our early years is hard to change. So it's important ot me to fit in the smallest pants I own. Then I'm done. No new wardrobe wanted.

I stopped at the fabric store for 1/2 yard of a batik. It was gone, but there were hundreds of yards of beautiful fabrics at half price. One purple and orange line caught my eye, but I didn't get any. Then a Moda bright on black line , then a .....

I'm going out and pick rhubarb and make a cake. It's so pretty. Strawberry jello and marshmallows in the up side down glaze.

Keep drinking. It's harder to remember with the weather cooling off.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BARES
Missy, that is the BEST news! I am sure that it is such a relief for you to feel more free. The IMPACT program was probably good for discipline and retraining you to be in a better space, as well as other things you got from it. HAPPY GRADUATION!!!!

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
As most of know, I have been spending the last few weeks with Cathie both here at my mom's house and at her house in Nebraska. Gosh I so love her!

Today the neatest thing happened. I graduated from the IMPACT program to the CARE program. The impact program is the psychiatric program here for schizophrenics. They bring our meds to us twice a day seven days a week and we see case managers daily as well. The program is AWESOME. It is so awesome because it really saved my life when I needed the help the most. AND...it is totally free of cost to us.

Now...because I no longer need that kind of supervision or help with my meds or my symptoms I have been graduated out of the program and now I am in the CARE program. I only have to see my new case manager on Fridays when I fill my med box. YAYAY!!

Anyway...that is what is going on with me!

Missy
Exactly! It feels so good to not hear voices or have visual hallucinations anymore. That is the best feeling ever!

Thank you so much!

Missy