Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric? >

New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric?

New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM

There have been many good sources listed on this thread.

I would also encourage you to join a guild or charity sewing group. Our guild periodically has an informal in-house auction open only to members. Here members donate fabric, quilt tops, blocks, patterns, and other quilting supplies. The proceeds go to the guild, and most of the fabric ends up being very inexpensive. We also do "fabric exchanges".

Charity sewing groups frequently get fabric donations. If you sew with them, you can use their fabric for charity projects and sometimes trade something from your stash for something you can use on personal projects. Sometimes they just want to give pieces away to anyone who can use them.

Quilting with others opens many doors. If people know what kind of fabric you need for a project, they will frequently give you something from their stashes. You will find mentors who want to encourage you in your quilting and will help with supplies.

I think the rule of supply and demand applies here. If you want to buy something inexpensively, go where there is an abundance of that item owned by someone who wants less of it (or doesn't have space to store it).

Dayle
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 AM

leave no stone un turned, rummage sales , garage sales, estate sales , wallmarts, ebay, friends and family, curbside shopping, craigs list, free catagory craigs list, old 100% cotton clothing remember to use only the best areas cut away areas the are worn out. Old aprons work for feed sack quilts and patching areas on old quilts with proper era fabrics. good luck !
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Wow - some amazing ideas here! Some of the best ones are about reusing old clothes that you don't wear any more...might as well cut them up, right? And using an old blanket as quilt batting...I never would have considered that before. And I will definitely try using some old sheets as backing. The notes on quality are very helpful too, I didn't think about the wear and tear yet since I haven't had any of mine very long yet. This has been a really fun thread, thank you to all who have responded. I wish I could "like" some of the replies or give thumbs up to them. Maybe the forum owners will add that in the future! :D
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Now I wonder how many of my old clothes that I sold at yardsales have ended up in quilts!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Pds

Not sure about other coupons, but the Joanne coupons are good for 1 cut of a fabric. What to remember is that 1 cut could include the entire bolt!!!! I have gotten a bolt of fabric using the 50% coupon because it was only ONE cut! Just need to read the fine print! :) I use this to get fabric for my backings or for my dyeing.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 AM

YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR THE FREE E MAIL NOTICES OF SALES AT CONNECTING THREADS AND OTHERS JUST GO ON LINE AND LOOK FOR
QUILTING FABRICS, THIS SHOULD GIVE YOU LOTS OF LOOK SEE'S.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 AM

I agree about using the recycled clothing and yard sale finds. I LOVE that I can look at a quilt I made and see pieces of a garment that my mother-in-law or my children once wore. So, if you are a yard sale addict, like I am, don't just look for the pile of fabric someone is selling, glance at the .25 clothing items.
Using a flat sheet (could also be a yard sale find) for your quilt underside also saves a lot of money.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 AM

repeat
Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM

If you know other quilters ask if they have scraps to get rid of. I regularly give trash bags full of scraps to a friend who quilts with her church.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
j

All those old clothes you arent wearing, go To Goodwill, I have used a lot this way. Next year I plan on saving money on material because I want to do my kitchen. By then I should have just enough to quilt and keep me busy just doing that. - J