Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric? >

New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric?

New quilter wondering where I can find inexpensive fabric?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Marshall Dry Goods has fabic for $3.99 a yard. I buy from Connecting Threads, InWeave, Quilt in a Day, Salvation Army, in Texas we have many ROPA USADA's, yard sales
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Try this one::

www.doviequiltingandfabric.com

Lots of quality fabric at $3 yd...great service
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Connecting Threads, as someone else has said. Ebay and Estate Sales are good choices.
Some of the Walmarts in TX have quit carrying fabric. They only have "crafts," including scrapbooking. Some of Walmart's fabrics are good quality, and some are not, so look closely if you buy Walmart fabric. A lot of quilters will not buy Walmart fabric, but the fabric shops are pricey.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi, Joann's coupons are great. I like E Quilter.com when they have fabric on sale. I am sending you a Pm.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

It is expensive when you're trying to build up your stash. I use some of the shops Gal288 listed above. I also shop at Crafttown, StitchNFrame, Whittle's, etc for online savings. You will get a better quality of fabric if you look for clearance fabric in a quilt shop versus a big box store. You can find good fabric for occasionally $3-$7 a yard on sale. StitchNFrame sends out a weekly special on Wednesdays. You can google them because it's on special now through Fri morning. Crafttown has Last Call Fabrics that are usually marked down. Whittle's and Quilt Fabric Closeouts buy from distributors and are usually selling discontinued fabrics at really good prices.
My personal motto is that is if isn't on sale or clearance, I don't buy it. I look for the best quality for the cheapest price. At the end of the year, fabric shops will mark some of their slower moving fabrics down just to get rid of them before tax time too. I've gotten really good deals in December for the past two years.
I'm also a fairly new quilter (3 years) I first focused on solids and blenders because you can grab those into almost any quilt. Then I went to types of fabric that I seemed drawn to, i.e. Civil War, 1930s, batiks, etc. I've gradually increased my selections with landscape fabrics, novelties, tone on tone etc. The standard is usually to buy 3-4 yards of a focus fabric that you think you might like to make the main fabric of a quilt. Borders can be anywhere from 1-3 yards depending on the width of the border. 1 yard will almost always do a binding on any size, up to a king.
I never buy less than 1 yard. You will have to put your mark on this by selecting fabrics that will suit your need too. Will you be making mostly bed size quilts, baby quilts, wall-hanging or decorative quilts, etc.
Hope this helps some.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Another thing I might add is that I also watch name brands that are recognizable. I started out thinking Moda was the absolute best, but have since learned there are many other manufacturers that make good quality fabrics. RJR, Timeless Treasures, Marcus Brothers, Kona, Red Rooster, Windham, Henry Glass, Jenny Beyer, Wilmington, Michael Miller, etc. are usually dependable companies for fabrics. I'm a little leary of an online fabric that's a brand I don't recognize since I can't touch it, stroke it, feel it! :-) Good luck!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM

try 2nd hand stores like Savers - I get a lot of fabrics from there at super cheap prices!! I also make monthly runs to Wal-Mart to check out their clearance bins. I was there this week and all their summer cottons are on sale for $1 and $2/yard!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by crystaltx
Are there any tips you can give me for building up my fabric collection cheaply? Is there a place where a company might just be getting rid of it or something? It seems very expensive at places like Joann or Hobby Lobby, especially for quilt backing, but I would be happy just to have a fun assortment of scraps to work with. Thanks!
You get what you pay for, when you buy cheap, you get cheap. Putting all that work into making a quilt, you want to use quality fabrics. Just my opinion.
Kay in East Texas
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
Connecting threads and fabric.com have lots of good sales and very good quality fabric, or at least what I have bought from them has been.
:thumbup: I buy most of my material from these two...good prices, good service and so far I have not been disappointed with any of the fabrics.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM

I also just discovered Quilt Fabric Closeout site.