Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesn't understand. >

My husband just doesn't understand.

My husband just doesn't understand.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM

ME TOO !!!! I love doing hems and alterations...I make GOOD money to buy QUILTING FABRIC and SUPPLIES !!!
Originally Posted by sharonve
I'm a quilter and a seamstress. I'm the one who patches those jeans when the wives won't do it.........and I get paid for doing it so I don't mind it!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM

My husband says you women are getting uppidy. I had to hold back, but I did not hurt him.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
tell him that asking a quilter to patch is like asking Picasso to paint your garage!
I am going to write this on the walls of my house!!!
What a great way to explain it!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
he would get it in his head to try and do it himself.
NOOOOO!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM

I completely understand. I have a big stack of DH and Sons that I will cut up next spring when they are fishing trip.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM

I'm with you girls, I hate to patch anything and jeans especially!! I used to make a lot of clothes for my kids when they were home, now I absolutely refuse to do it, but I can quilt and quilt and quilt - because I love to do it. I think it brings out the artist stored somewhere in my brain. The only patches I like are quilt patches!!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM

I told my 39 year old DGD last week that I didn't do buttons, but I would be happy to show her how, and indeed even give her a needle and thread. You would have thought I had asked her to cook Sunday dinner for a cast of thousands...she looked at me and very calmly said, "But Grandmothers are SUPPOSED to do those kinds of things!" I have tried all the logic in the world, bribes, absolute refusals...and they still come! Somebody please give me the magic word...NO doesn't work here! At least by reading this post I know I'm not alone...LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hmay60
He came home last night as I was cutting up some of his old jeans. He said, are you sure those aren't any good. Well he is the one who quit wearing them. I said yes, they have holes in them. He says you can make quilts, but you can't patch holes. I explained that I quilt for fun, it is my hobby. It doesn't mean I want to spend my time patching holes. Now, I have patched some in the past, and it's not always easy to patch knee holes and pocket holes, and now we can afford to buy him new jeans, when he needs them. He also told me once, that one of the guys he worked with, wanted to know if I would patch some of his jeans, umm no. I work everyday and just don't want to patch clothes. I will sew up some things for the grandkids though, they are special. So anyone else not like to patch clothes.
I'm right there with you. My DH gave me a pair of pants to replace the button, and somehow they ended up in a box. I found them after we moved! He could no longer wear the pants (too ooo small). hey I got out of that "mending" !! hehe
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 PM

My excuse for anything I don't want to do is: I saw it needed doing, but I chose not to do it. I usually get a huh?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM

I have patched my youngest son's overalls as he is an electrician and the ones he wears are $80.00 a pair. They are like sewing on tent material, but to save them the money I have done it. HOWEVER, anything else, the answer is 'I DO NOT MEND"....