Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband just doesn't understand. >

My husband just doesn't understand.

My husband just doesn't understand.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Dee

I do not like to patch. Harder then quilting sometimes.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM

You don't patch Old with New... it creates a bigger hole...
you can however, use the strong part of old and use it on another way aka a quilt :D
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I agree with you & can relate to you on your view on patching Hubby's jeans. I have a box for HB's jeans with holes. Someday I'll make him a quilt out of them.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM

I have a on going stack by my machine of items to be patched. Some thankfully end up outgrown first. Patching is never a favorite. Only a need that has to be met from time to time. Our oldest is in the highschool band and they will reimburse for a repair to the 700.00 uniform. After talking to a friend who is light years even beyond my abilities she didn't want to touch it without taking out the lining etc- Plan to take it to someone else and let them open and resew lining etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I would rather make drapes, bedskirts, slipcovers, quilts before I ever want to mend someones jeans. In fact, DH goes to Goodwill or other thrift stores to buy jeans these days. Something very rewarding about creating something from scratch instead of repairing clothes. Yuk!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM

I hate any kind of patchwork on jean's which my daughter and her two children always seem to need done. And zippers, the females in my family seem to break zippers. I say no or don't say anything and they take the hint. However, being a obease piette female,[and with the size changes in the united states, piette isn't as short as it was in the sixties], anything I buy I must alter for myself, if they chatch me while I'm sewing for myself, and what they want won't take more than 30 minutes, and if possible, I will fix one thing of theirs.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 AM

I'm on your side. And I won't mend socks either.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by hmay60
He came home last night as I was cutting up some of his old jeans. He said, are you sure those aren't any good. Well he is the one who quit wearing them. I said yes, they have holes in them. He says you can make quilts, but you can't patch holes. I explained that I quilt for fun, it is my hobby. It doesn't mean I want to spend my time patching holes. Now, I have patched some in the past, and it's not always easy to patch knee holes and pocket holes, and now we can afford to buy him new jeans, when he needs them. He also told me once, that one of the guys he worked with, wanted to know if I would patch some of his jeans, umm no. I work everyday and just don't want to patch clothes. I will sew up some things for the grandkids though, they are special. So anyone else not like to patch clothes.
I once refused to patch the elbow in one of my husbands shirts. It was a favorite of his and ready for the rag bag. He actually took the shirt to work and as two of the gals in his office if they could do it!!! I was horrified, couldn't hold my head up at the office gatherings. Fortunately Susan outsmarted him, said something to the effect that the material type couldn't be machine sewn and she didn't have the skills to do it by hand. Duh, he fell for it. Susan and I laugh about it to this day.

In the meantime, I keep buying big pieces of fabric to cut into little pieces so I can sew them back together, and sometimes cut them up into little pieces again. He just wanders around the house in a total daze!!!!! He just doesn't GET IT.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 AM

Totally Agree!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Why is it if someone finds out you quilt, they assume you sew, patch and any other thing they don't care to do? And that you love to do it for FREE!!! I learned several years a little two letter word that has saved me...NO