Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Today has been a good day. Did well with my food. My challagne is not eating but the exercise. With the new learning curve of breathing makes my exercise a challagne. Just walking to the bathroom takes alot out of me. So I will be going slow with the exercise. Slow and steady. Increase as I can.

Have a good night ladies.

Cindy
Wow,I admire your drive.It is good to get to going,but I'm sure the body lets you know what not to do.When I had my carple surgeries,the dr said,the stitches and site will let you know what you can't do.And it did.Besides,your pretty well versed on this and know what to do.Just be careful.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
1. i would like the recipe for the caramel apple cider cookies
2. making 3" squares and sewing them on the diagonal , and then trimming to 2.5 is the easiest. or you could make a tube of 3" strips(2of them, right sides together) then cut right angles with 2.5" sides (missour1 quilt has a GREAT tute on you tube on how to do this, with jenny) and it is so easy, the center seam is sewn on straight of the grain!
3. you'll do it , xylie, and i'm right behind you! i hit 194 yesterday. 80's here i come!! my husband said he will buy me a *tastycake*, the philly answer to twinkies, but i'd rather pull all the stops and have a philly pizza cheesesteak wit. mmmmm, haven't had one in soooooo long. and it's mostly protein--lean steak, grilled, provolone cheese (or cheese wiz), pizza sauce ( tomatoes, vitamin c), and the wit' which is grilled onions.
4. i have been so productive in the past few days, and now my body and back are angry and hurt, they are such spoiled brats! my back is good for a few hours if i vary walking, sitting, standing, and reward it with lying down. such a pain! anyway, i designed and made a doll quilt based on a children's book, The pumpkin blanket." it's about a little girl, her favorite quilt, and a pumpkin patch. it is a delightful story, beautifully illustrated. so the quilt looks like a scrappy quilt, but, drum roll, each square lifts up to reveal a pumpkin.all different, all appliqued onto a base fabric. i am so tickled with how it came out! i will try to remember to take pictures BEFORE i give it away, and i will try to post them. the book has come in at b&n, but i have no car , so there it sits! i also finished a reversible jacket for my quilting in the new year partner. i quilted the cuffs, the lapels and lower front edge, and the stand up collar. no, don't be silly, of course, i didn't take a picture! but she wants me to make one for her daughter! she sent me a wonderful bow tucks bag! my first! i will soon have a picture of that, at least. and i've been organizing f8's in, and out, for a boomerang swap! later today i will make two dahlia pillows, unstuffed, for my qiny partner for this month. she lives in australia and i'd love for her to get it before xmas. And, today i had an ophthamologist app't, with good news--no glaucoma! ocular hypertension, so i have to be checked every 3 months so if it does become glaucoma they can deal with it right away. i can live with that! now, i am exhausted, it's only 2:30, but i think i will call it a day! see you all, much later! have a great friday, and eat on plan, drink water, and take something for a walk! when i take the dogs, my cat simon follows along. it is so cute to see him as part of our parade! sleep tight! cindy! you are looking great! i hope you feel better and stronger every day!! eat lots of veggies and protein to get built back up! y'all sleep well, now, ya heah?!
Oh you have been a busy girl lately.Those carmel apples cookies sounded good in a real cookie.Good job!Yes the 180's are just up around the bend.I'm with you.Get the meat one,not the twinkie one.Then you'll still be on track and the sugar won't stimulate your appetite.Well,good for you.I'm 164,so 6 pounds down!Yeah!!!!I am finely losing weight and moving.Was on spirutein for 2 days,and it really helped.I wasn't even ever hungry those 2 days.And it tasted so good.Yummy!Keep going!180 is in site.My 160 is in site too.{4 more pounds!}YEAH
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 AM

Wasn't on line much at all yesterday.Went to water aerobics,did some errands etc.Now & then I just get tired of being on line & other days I'm on way too long!

Sounds like a lot of ppl on here are doing great.Congrats to all.It's good to know it works for most of you. I'm just plodding along....still on my eating plan of less,but healthy.Haven't been on the scales,as it's way to discouraging to go wk after wk with no loss/no gain.Come Friday,will weigh in.

Talk about this being a lifetime plan....DD who lost big on WW,has kept it off 3yrs.She basically eats the same as she did while losing,just a bit more & does a whole lot of walking & exercise.Realizing the need to be aware all her life has been what her plan is based on.

Here's an article on losing wt/fitness I enjoyed reading.Sometimes we find a kernel of truth in diet info.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/435915...-today_health/

[/quote]Oh you have been a busy girl lately.Those carmel apples cookies sounded good in a real cookie.Good job!Yes the 180's are just up around the bend.I'm with you.Get the meat one,not the twinkie one.Then you'll still be on track and the sugar won't stimulate your appetite.Well,good for you.I'm 164,so 6 pounds down!Yeah!!!!I am finely losing weight and moving.Was on spirutein for 2 days,and it really helped.I wasn't even ever hungry those 2 days.And it tasted so good.Yummy!Keep going!180 is in site.My 160 is in site too.{4 more pounds!}YEAH[/quote]
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 AM

I didn't do as well yesterday eating as I would have liked. I made a bunch of chocolate chip cookies and banana bread for my husband's work for Friday. They have been so busy working hard. (Bad me had 2 cookies while I was baking) I did ok with the rest of my food for the day except for the cookies. LOL I guess that means today I better make sure I skip sweets.

I did buy more crystal light flavoring to add to my water so maybe I will be better about drinking it. LOL

Hope everyone is feeling well and having a good day!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 AM

Good morning everyone, thanks for the encouragement and advice.
Judy I'm 4 ft. 11 in tall so can just sneak in at 120.

I know if I keep my calorie intake around 1200 I stay at 120, but to loose I have to drop around 600-800 calories and that's not really healthy. So I think my goal will be to maintain by eating healthy and trying to exercise regularly.

I hope you don't mind if I stay on this board for support and encouragement.

Cindy - You are looking good. Just don't push yourself.

MJ - Same thing. Don't push yourself. Do only what you body tells you what your body tells you you can do.

God Bless everyone, My prayers are with you all.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 AM

ok, here's my secret, but don't tell anyone! i have really tried to give up sweets, but it doesn't work. SO, i plan a sweet into my plan! and i have found, when i hit a plateau, if i have a piece of cake, or a couple of cookies, or just amp up the calories for one day--not a major pig out, but up to an extra 300 calories,-- it kickstarts my body back into paying attention and losing. when we focus so hard on keeping the calories too low to lose faster, it doesn't work. your body is afraid you're starving it and holds onto everything it can, and tries to store fat against the starvation to come. any weight loss that occurs during this starvation mode comes back at you, and brings friends, relatives and pets. it's protecting you from death. i think there is a memory of these starvation periods, and as you repeat the cycle your body seems to remember and becomes more resistant to giving up anything. of course, if you deprive your body long enough, severely enough, you literally do start to starve. that's the physical side of anorexia.
weighing yourself every day isn't smart. various things will cause your weight to go up and down. eat 3 lbs of food and your weight will go up 3 lbs. once your system processes that food, the amount you gain, or lose depends on what that food was turned into. if it's used as immediate fuel, it burns off relatively quickly. if it's stored for later use that part will continue to weigh in with you(yup, that's fat). it can be worked into muscle, or become a waste product and eliminated. not all that is an actual gain. i can put on 2-3 lbs just by getting up in the morning and having a cup of coffee and a slice of toast. by the end of the day the gravitational pull on your body is actually stronger, and that's what we call weight.
your goal is to make calories used a higher number than calories taken in.BUT, there is a minimum caloric level that you need just to function. most experts will tell you that for most of us that's 1200. below that is flat out unhealthy and needs to be monitored by a dr, or dietician. i learned the hard way, which you can,too, but why beat yourself up? it literally weakens all your organs. your heart, kidneys, liver in particular suffer stress related deterioration Every time you starve yourself. that's why anorexic people end up dying of organ failure. do your own research if you don't like mine. good luck, and more importantly, good health!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 AM

Leaving tomorrow for a week in Bradenton, Florida. Seeing lots of family. I hope to get some beach walking in since I won't be at gym.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM

jeanne- since this is a lifetime program, you can leave if you want to, but you can also stay as long as you want to, as in lifetime of good eating choices for a lifetime of better health. probably you won't want to be in the fabric competition since you won't be losing weight. maintaining is a real battle, too, as you know 8-), so we're here to cheer you on! and, personally, i would miss you if you left! you are very encouraging and caring, and selfishly, i need that!(and so does everyone else). i'm not nailing your foot to the floor to make you stay, but i hope you will! please!!?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:08 AM

So glad I found you again. Is that confusing? Let me explain. After I found you the first time, I started getting email messages when new messages were posted, then yesterday I realized I had not seen anything from the group in a few days. No time yesterday to look around but today is "my Saturday" so I took the time to find you all again, and I am glad I have.

Yesterday I had trouble with my work tablet and got very frustrated. Stopped outside one of those places with WiFi but still could not get a connection. Their chalk board kept calling me with something that I really wanted to have but I kept thinking of all the encouragement I get from all of you and stayed in my car, saved money and did not add calories. Yeah!

I want to echo what Nancia has said about occasionally having a few extra calories to remind our bodies we are not starving. One of my friends was on a doctor supervised very low calorie diet, after a while she stopped loosing. The doc was great and really worked with her. He recommended that she enjoy the pasta that was a Friday night staple in her home. It was just enough to confuse her body and wake up her metabolism and she started loosing again.

Have a great day everyone,
Jeannette in NJ
Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 AM

thank you, jeanette! it sounds crazy, but it is true! it also took me a couple days to realize i hadn't had any notices from this thread, but i was also trying to get a lot done and hadn't checked in(thanks, xylie! now you understand how i feel when you go mia.<3)