Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Lego quilt >

Lego quilt

Lego quilt

Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by stichinluvr
Maybe the Legos will want to commission you to make a quilt for advertising purposes.
I don't know if I could do that....If I never use another primary color in a quilt I will be fine....I was soooo tired of this quilt when I finally finished it. :D
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Your quilt is wonderful. I have a 28 year nephew that would love it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Very nice!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 AM

My 11 year old son... "AWEEESOOOME!! That is too cool for words!"

Still a huge Lego fan at this age and now he wants one too!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 PM

I would like to make something similar for my 6 year old friend(Mom is my best friend). Would you share how you got the applique.

[email protected]
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dlemons
I would like to make something similar for my 6 year old friend(Mom is my best friend). Would you share how you got the applique.

[email protected]
The Lego storm trooper is an image I found on the internet. I just resized it and printed it on some iron on paper. The Lego Logo appliqué was also a resized image. I experimented with different methods of appliqué using paper cut-outs of the logo to get the size and placement. That is actually what I did with all the appliqués. I used a lot of printer paper and clear plastic to make templates. This is my first full sized quilt so I was trying all kinds of different techniques to see what I liked best. Most of the shapes are simple when you break the image down to it's basic bits. Just search the internet and I'll bet you'll find all kinds of Lego images that would be special to the child you are making the quilt for. My son is a HUGE fan of Lego Star Wars which is why I had to put the storm trooper in. I hope this helps some...I know I started out with a really complicated quilt in my head but soon found out that keeping it simple was the way to go if I wanted to finish it before my son was too old to enjoy it. Don't be afraid to just start, the quilt will evolve as you go and find out what is working and what is not working. Good luck and please post pictures when you are done. I would love to see how it comes out.
Julie
Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 AM

I love this quilt and am working on a design for a Lego quilt also. I wasn't sure how you did the actual Lego blocks. Are the circles done individually and appliqued to the block? Are the ends and sides of each block done in a slightly different color to create the 3D effect? Great quilt. I am doing one with the blocks similar to yours and a Lego man appliqued in the middle.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM

You got it...I did applique each circle on each block and I also used different shades of fabric to get the 3-D effect. I also kept in mind that if you can't see it from 10 feet away while riding by on a galloping horse than it's not worth worrying about. Better finished than perfect is another good phrase. I'm glad you like it and I hope when you are done with yours you will post a picture of it.
Julie
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM

LOVE the lego idea! :D
Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 AM

"printed it on iron on paper" I've never heard of iron paper - but now I have to find it and try it! :D