Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Offlite lamps >

Offlite lamps

Offlite lamps

Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
They're Ott lights. Ott lights have special daylight bulbs. But you can buy daylight bulbs other places. JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon is probably going to be your best bet for bulbs though. I have the Ott light desk lamp that folds closed and I've been using it for probably 5 years or more and it still has the original bulb in it.
My elder eyes love these bulbs. Like others, mine was 50% off at JoAnn's (floor style), bought it 2 years ago and still on the first bulb. Also, have 2 clip-ons. I purchased my second floor style at Lowe's and (at the time) they stocked Ott bulbs. I still think you can do best on bulbs at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon. My opinion--I think the trick to Ott bulb longevity is not to bump hard or be careful when moving the lamp.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 AM

I got mine at Joanns, 50% off, I got the one that will clip on and hangs in my closet where I SEW AT. I SIMPLY LOVE IT! The lighting helps the eyes, I wouldn't want to sew with out it...Had for about 6 months, so I can't give any advise on the bulb...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 AM

I have a couple of Ott lights, which I love. But my favorite light is the Bendable Bright light attached to my machine.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 AM

I have the floorlamp style and love it. Don't have very good lighting in my sewing room and this solved my problem. Don't know about the bulbs, since I have had this for four years or more and the same bulb is in it
Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 AM

I have a table top that folds about 10 years old and a floor lamp about 6 plus years old. The floor light is behind the sofa and is usued everyday; I have not replaced either bulb, they last a long time.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:36 AM

I got mine at Joanns, 50% off, I got the one that will clip on and hangs in my closet where I SEW AT. I SIMPLY LOVE IT! The lighting helps the eyes, I wouldn't want to sew with out it...Had for about 6 months, so I can't give any advise on the bulb...
Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 AM

Yes, those types of lamps are wonderful. I have 2, one on my cutting table (table model) and a floor lamp in my LR. I do alot of hand work so having light come from over your shoulder is better. I bought mine over 10 years ago, not an Ott-lite but a knock-off. I think my floor lamp was $59. Check out quilt magazines for ads. They used to be pretty reasonable at office stores, but the prices have gone way up. I guess someone told them there was a demand..quilters!!! The table model I bought from Joannes with a 50% coupon. Get one, you'll love it!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 AM

I bought a nice big Ott light for my sewing area quite a few years ago - worked for about a year, then one day it just didn't work anymore. Tried a new bulb, nothing. Bought a new cord unit with the black box (can't think of the name right now) - still nothing. It's still sitting around here, because I figured one day it's going to magically work again, but I won't spend that kind of money again. I finally bought a similar light at Big Lots for $29. Works just fine.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Wonderful for night work or working on black (dark)fabric. I have a floor model behind my sewing table, a clip one on my cutting table and a portable one I can move around.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 AM

If you have a Big Lots store check there. They have lamps identical to the expensive Ott Lights. I've purchased 3 so far - 2 floor lamps and one table lamp. They were all under 30 dollars, and they all came with an extra bulb. No problems with any so far - had my first one for over 5 years, bought my last one a month ago.