Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 AM

Be careful changing doctors. I'm in the health field and more and more Doctors are leaving their practice. Be very careful if you are on Medicare or Medicaid.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Not every doc graduates at the top of the class, somebody has to be at the bottom...
Excellent point !! It's my hubby's favorite question ... where did that person place in their class.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 AM

I also think you need a new Doctor.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Find another doctor and don't feel guilty about not going back. I have way too many doctors as I see a nephrologist, a urologist, a GP, a gynecologist, an orthopedist for a broken ankle, kidney stones, kidney damage from a kidney stone that totally blocked a kidney, underactive thyroid, hypertension and borderline diabetic. I talked to the nephrologist and asked him if he thought it would be in my best interest to see an endocrinologist and have a doctor that would look at the big picture instead of everything individualized. He agreed and I scheduled an appointment. When I got there, the young female doctor was a walking encyclopedia on the symptoms of hypothyroidism and went into a long recitation of those. When I would interject that yes, that's a symptom I'm having, she would stop and give me a dirty look and start the recitation all over again from the first. She ordered a bunch of tests for me and told me to make another appointment on my way out. As I walked out the receptionist said, "Wait, the doctor wants you to make another appointment." My reply, "No, not making another appointment as I'm never coming back and make sure the doctor cancels all the lab work she ordered as I'm not going in for those either." Still looking for a doctor to work with me, but afraid I will have to leave this clinic as this is how they make more money. So infuriating.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

I know exactly how you feel...and sadly changing Dr is not always in the plan..I couldn't..our insurance is only accepted by a couple of Dr's in this town...so there..what are you to do???

I do hope you keep listening to YOUR inner voice, keep notes of all of this..in fact, keep a notebook and bring that each time to this Dr..have him sign/initial by your notes on what HE said you need to do/not do...maybe he will see what the problem is in HIS behavior...

I also detest taking meds when I do not know what I am taking them for...find the cause of the problem THEN I might take a med for it..as a last resort!

Wishing you well!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 AM

Change doctors first, Then keep details notes of how you are feeling, what you eat and and how you are feeling for your new doctor. Then maybe they can see a trend of what might be causing the problems. Believe me it works. Kept my husbands very detail blood pressure and now he is seeing a cardiologist getting major problems solved. Detail notes tells a lot - more than just saying this or that.
Good luck - good doctors a hard to find but please remember if one doesn't help you - there really is another down the road that will. Just keep trying and good luck to you.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I know exactly how you feel...and sadly changing Dr is not always in the plan..I couldn't..our insurance is only accepted by a couple of Dr's in this town...so there..what are you to do???

I do hope you keep listening to YOUR inner voice, keep notes of all of this..in fact, keep a notebook and bring that each time to this Dr..have him sign/initial by your notes on what HE said you need to do/not do...maybe he will see what the problem is in HIS behavior...

I also detest taking meds when I do not know what I am taking them for...find the cause of the problem THEN I might take a med for it..as a last resort!

Wishing you well!
Or like here (not too small approx 70k) there is a clinic with 60-70 Dr. who basically own most of the biz.

When FIL was dying last summer DH met a Dr. he liked while FIL was hospitalized. We wanted to switch to him but he is at the clinic as is the GP we currently see. We are not allowed to switch within the organization. That's just wrong!!!

Forgot to say: Me too on the meds. No thanks, you can keep them almost all the time!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 AM

He is working for YOU. I've gone through this before. You could address him directly and tell him your concerns first and give him a chance to change too but if it's ongoing and you're not comfortable, change doctors. I now have a doctor who listens to everything I have to say, then we discuss it and he lets me choose the course of action. He shocked me on my first visit, took my hands at the end of the appointment and asked if he could pray for me. He feels it is essential to his care for his patients and he is greatly loved for it.

Something else to remember is that doctors are given a certain amount of allotted time with a patient from the medical plans they accept and it's usually around 15 minutes. Mine doesn't end the appointment until I am satisfied. I've never felt pressured to hurry.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 AM

I think you need to find a new MD, this one sounds like a pill pusher. We had one of those locally and everytime one went to him it was another pill and none were ever discontinued. I quit seeing him but another lady wound up seriously ill because of the interactions between the meds. Pills are helpful but not the answer to everything and I think we as Americans want a quick fix to a lot of things so some think a pill will cure everything, NOT SO!

I have a good dr. except he is very expensive. I finally told him you get a once a year visit unless I am sick, I simply can't afford your fees. He listens to what you have to say and takes whatever time you need (probably why he is expensive) for which I am very grateful. But until I found him I have had some who didn't listen to what I told them, but what they thought I should hear. I realize I am not a dr., but one must keep in touch with their body to give the doctor correct info and sometimes you have to let them know they aren't listening. If they don't want to listen find another dr.

I just recently had open heart surgery for a valve repair and am so thankful my heart doctor listened to what I had to say about symptoms etc. and found the problem with no trouble. So find someone who will listen to what you have to say, and if they don't know will refer you to someone who might or should know. Good luck in the future.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 AM

As someone who deals with doctors on a daily basis, I can tell you that I have the same problem!! When I want to tell them about my concerns for a patient they don't listen to me half the time. I feel I do get some respect over other, younger nurses on my unit do to my age (translation: experience) but it all comes down to the fact that they feel they know more than you do, and they are applying their knowledge base to you. In other words, they are applying their general knowledge to your specific case. Also, doctors are usually only interested in the reason for the visit. If you go in for a sinus infection, they do not want to hear about your stomach pains.
Believe me, I'm not saying it's right, just explaining the situation. The approach I try personally is to say, "I know you're the expert here, but I'm the expert of ME and this is what I'm experiencing."
If you continue to have issues with this doctor, it's time to find another. A good doctor-patient relationship is as hard to find as a good spouse and just as important!