Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820 - to buy, or not to buy >

Bernina 820 - to buy, or not to buy

Bernina 820 - to buy, or not to buy

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by midwifehc
You're not going to get much more space to quilt with a 12in throat-you'll soon be wishing you bought a longarm. For the money you can buy a longarm-they have stitch regulators as well- and still have your 440 to sew with. That way you won't have to move around a heavy, probably delicate machine (which honestly has had some unfavorable reviews. Even my local S+V told me to stay away from the 820/830s)
If you have a Singer and Viking dealer, I would expect them to tell you to stay away from a Bernina. Or do you mean sewing and vacuum?

the 820 and 830 aren't for everyone. You can't just turn one on and sew. It's called a sewing computer for a reason.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

No, my local sew and vac sells the Berninas, as well as every other model. They really don't encourage you to buy the highest priced machines, they really give their honest opinion.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 AM

I live in Canada & have had the 820 for almost a year. I was scared to death of it at first & wanted to return it to the dealer. Luckily she made the effort to help me feel comfortable with the machine & boy I am NOT sorry. The problem I had with it was the bobbin. It is so different from anything I had in the past it scared me. I now do regular sewing, quilting & with the 12" throat quilts are easier to move around (not perfect) but easier. Make sure you clean out the bobbin area often & close the bobbin door slowly & things should be alright. You can have problems with anything so you can't always be sure but I LOVE my machine, now that I gave it a (learning) chance.
Carol Allen
Timmins, Ontario
Old 10-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I first owned a 440 QEE and like you, loved it. Then I got the 820 with the frame because I wanted to FMQ more and wanted the throat room. BUT, I agree that you should just buy a long arm. IN the end that's what I did because the 820 just doesn't have the speed for free form designs, you can't see the needle when you are standing up in front of the frame because of the "box" that occludes the view. This box is where the workings of the machine are always over the needle. The visibility with a long arm is sooo much better...the speed is awesome and the price point on some of them like the Innova or the Tin Lizzie are in the ball park. I thought lifting the 820 to the frame was going to kill me and there was no way I wanted to horse it on and off all the time. I used my 440 on the frame too..same issues, slow, couldn't handle the manoevering and you can't see around the " box". Save yourself some money in the long run and get a long arm...Just sayin'...Good Luck