Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize a sewing room >

How to organize a sewing room

How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 AM

[quote=Glassquilt]In the rest of your home how organized are you? Is your pantry/food storage neat. Do you keep your linens folded & stacked in any order? How do you do your clothing? Don't forget your purse - how is it?

Your sewing room is an extension of you and will probably end up similarly to the rest of your home.

The rest of my home is neat and tidy...it is a small house so it is a necessity to keep order. Now my two sewing rooms on the other hand...I just figured it out...I NEED A BIGGER HOUSE (LOL)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
I don't think the word "organize" existes in relation to my sewing area.
:D :D That's what I was going to say. I can barely see the carpet in my sewing room.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 AM

I have a bookcase and a small dresser with shelves over it, this is where my fabric lives, most of the time it is in a disarray instead of neatly folded and stacked. I have an old kitchen table for a sewing table, then a side table for my ironing and now that my youngest has decided she needs her own space there is a small patio table that her machine sits on. I also have an old Kenmore sewing machine in its table in here as well.

Looking around there is nothing about this place that is organized so I guess I would say I just have a controlled mess going on most of the time. :D

We should start a sewing room thread with just pictures in it.

Im so nosey.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Plumtree
I have a bookcase and a small dresser with shelves over it, this is where my fabric lives, most of the time it is in a disarray instead of neatly folded and stacked. I have an old kitchen table for a sewing table, then a side table for my ironing and now that my youngest has decided she needs her own space there is a small patio table that her machine sits on. I also have an old Kenmore sewing machine in its table in here as well.

Looking around there is nothing about this place that is organized so I guess I would say I just have a controlled mess going on most of the time. :D

We should start a sewing room thread with just pictures in it.

Im so nosey.
That's a good idea, I'm nosey too!
Oh my! That means I have to get my sewing room straighten up a little or maybe alot. Don't get many visitors in my sewing room.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:38 AM

Organization! Organization! Organization!
Use a closet if possible to keep fabric from sunlight.
Hubby installed wire bins in my sewing room closet for my fabric, I love them, they pull out, you can see the fabric,
fabric can breath.
(purchased from Lowes, a great Xmas gift from hubby)
Never store fabric in plastic bins, fabric must breath.
Formaldhyde can build up in plastic bins.
I sort my fabrics by color, as well as have a bin for childrens fabrics. I keep my solids together as well.
Work out a system that makes it easy to see and pull fabrics when you are starting a quilt project. :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 AM

I seen somewhere on the internet where someone used pant hangers for hanging up their fabric in a spare closet. Plus they used them to hang up their cutting mats.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 AM
klc

I also have my 100% cotton fabric folded by color with Christmas, kitchen, kids, holiday, and other specific patterns stored by themselves. I also have my solids sorted and stored by color. I have other fabrics (fleece, flannel, etc. stored the same way). My sewing room closet is filled with other craft items. After each major project I find I must straighten and rearrange. I sure seem to make a mess!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:57 AM

A friend recently passed this idea to me. Any fabric left over from a project she cuts into strips 2and a half inches wide (like Jelly Rolls) and rolls it up. This way the scraps don't crease (which means I dont use them) and they are ready for a Jelly Roll pattern. All my fat quarters are stored in plastic baskets and the yardage is folded on shelves. All the haberdashery - ribbon, felt, zips, card templates, crochet cotton is in shoe boxes and labelled. Photocopies of patterns and designs are filed in plastic sleeves in ring-binders. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:59 AM

I'm lucky, I don't have much of a stash. All my fabric fits into two large plastic containers with lids. It's all washed and folded in there. Project fabrics are together and scraps are stored in plastic bags.

Have fun organizing your room.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 AM

I try to organize by color. It is so nice when my room gets cleaned up and everything in its' place. One big problem - All that gets totally messed up instantly when I see something I would like to make. I finished a baby quilt and feel good about that but fear going back into my room. Once more - where did my 'maids' go?