Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize a sewing room >

How to organize a sewing room

How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 AM

My room is hopeless! I keep trying to reorganize but yet have found a solution! I still can't find what I need without tearing the whole room apart so I just go buy new
Old 10-16-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
have all my fabrics folded & sorted in a office cabinet. Then I have all my fat quarters folded & stored in a 4 drawer dresser & I have my batiks stored in another good size cabinet all folded & sorted the best I could. Makes it easier for me to find IF I ever decide to use from my stash! My problem is when starting another project I always go buy new!
Oh, to be this neat! I have a tendency to buy new fabric for each project, so I keep a smaller stash and most of it is stored in a lawyer's book case with glass doors. I cannot keep it organized! Then there are bins with scraps from various projects and bins with batting, and plastic storage units with drawers for tools and thread. I have an ironing station with cubbies beneath that have ironing supplies, cutting, marking, fabirc paints/crayons, paper, and quilting supplies. I am blessed with a large sewing room, but I am not using it to best advantage. Need to work on that.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:23 AM

I just finished cleaning out my sewing room. It took me two weeks to go through everything. I want to un-clutter my life. I donated hundred of yards of fabric. I have learned to put the pattern with the fabric in a plastic bag. I sort the best I can by color and yardage. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 AM

I just finished organizing my sewing room. It took me quite awhile, LOL, but so worth the effort. I chose to ruler fold my fabrics and place them on shelves per color. Then chose various sized clear plastic storage containers for scrap squares ranging in sizes from 1 and half to 6 inch squares. I had a few projects in the works that I put into seperate containers to work on at will and some unfinished projects that I put in a basket (out of storage containers). It all is working wonderful for me. But, I think each person ends up creating a system that works for them. Have a great time organizing.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pieces2
Never store fabric in plastic bins, fabric must breath.
Formaldhyde can build up in plastic bins.
I use Rubbermaid & I'll take my chances. We had a housefire and my sewing room was badly damaged. The fabric that was in the Rubbermaid was saved. Almost everything in the entire house was stained by the smoke and had to be tossed.

I may regret this down the road but for now I'm happy.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 AM

I built shelves in the closet and stack the fabric by yardage, i.e. 1/2, 2/3+, 1 yd, 2+ yd, 3+ yd, 4+ yd, 5+ yd. Any pieces smaller than 1/2 yard are in color coded clear storage boxes on a large bookcase. Strips and squares which are already cut are in stacking drawer units on another bookshelf and I marked each drawer with the size. I think there may be a lot of scrap quilts in my future!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 AM

My hubby built my sewing table, 8 feet by 4 feet, with a well for my machine, and shelves all around, underneath. I bought one of those plastic totes for christmas wrapping paper. Its long and not very deep. I keep all my fatquarters in it, and it slides under my sewing table. All my fabric is on shelves, sorted by color, except all christmas fabric is together, fall fabrics and wovens are together. I also clean my sewing room after I finish each project.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 AM

I bought a lot of the plastic storage stuff from Walmart. I can see the fabric through the plastic drawer fronts. It's easier for me to have the fabrics separated by color. I have drawers for almost every color, a couple of drawers for florals - one for large florals and one for small floral prints, a separate drawer for kids fabrics, a drawer for panels and polka dots, drawers for pre-cut charms, layer cakes, and jelly rolls.

I have shoeboxes in several drawers to hold the small pieces and FQs.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 AM

Organizing my sewing room has been an on going experiance for me. Mostly because I didn't have a "sewing room". It was a card table, desk, kitchen table, kitchen counter, bedroom, closet ..whereever and whatever worked at the time. I now have a sewing studio. I am most blessed. I wish that this had been my experiance when I had young children or for that matter when I was young. However, I'll take it now and enjoy.
I invested in Kowala sewing furniture and have not been sorry. It's been heaven to have a place for all my stuff. My yardage is stored in a closet on shelves. My stash is in plastic containers with lids, all coordinated by color and is stored on shelves of the Kowala furniture. Strips are also in containers by width size. Bricks and blocks are in small stackable drawers. My holiday fabric is stored in drawers. Also all stablizers and hoops for embroidery have their own drawers. All fat quarters are folded so they can be viewed together and in their own drawer. Thread, scissors, and the like have their space. Me too. Love it.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 AM

I dont have the money so went cheaply.
Metal shelves from Target for $16 and clear plastic bins at Staples for $1.69 that fit the shelves.
Fabric by color first then into subject like backings, background, Christmas, Batiks, and flannel.
Have all my small stuff in those small three drawer stackable containers. These are a bit expensive but was lucky to get them at a discount where my daughter worked.
They hold all my ruler instructions, marking pins, all small quilting stuff.
My rulers are hung on peg board and some less used ones in a desk letter file.
My fat quarters are in Dollar Tree baskets on a small bookshelf. Books and magazines are in a cheap shelf unit from Target.