Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter? >

How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter?

How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM

I did umpteen quilts using scissors and cardboard templates. I also used and still use old x-ray film for making templates.I do love my rotary cutters though :)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I started quilting in the 70's...learned with scissors and templates...would use cereal boxes, and milk bottles for plastic templates. It did take longer, but I didn't mind it at the time. When rotary cutters first came out, I had one on my Christmas list...and got one...and it sat in my drawer for months as I was so afraid to use it. The rulers I had at first were just strips of plexi class in different widths. Both rulers and cutters have come a long way!!!

I did a sampler quilt for my first quilt, and have done several other sampler type quilts over the years...still some of my favorite quilts...love doing the different blocks.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM

I can't imagaine that I would have ever quilted without the RC or strip quilting.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have been quilting over 30 years and still don't have a rotary cutter. DH does most of the cutting.
Can I borrow him sometime? I have tried to get my husband involved but he just isn't buying it.

I made quilts before rotary cutters and it was a project to cut things out and your fingers would get sore but I had some really good scissors and they would cut through three or four thickness of fabric. I made three trip around the worlds, a log cabin, a sampler( all queen size) and an appliqued baby quilt but I had five little ones and it took me a long time to complete anything. Plus I am primarily a hand quilter.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 AM

I did, still have all those plastic templates, don't know why, all shapes and forms, LOL
Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 AM

My first quilt was just squares sewn together in no particular pattern. And yes, each square was cut with scissors. I was glad I had a really good pair of scissors, Ginghers.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I've never used templates....started quilting in 2002 with rotary cutter in hand. If a pattern requires templates, I run the other way. I just don't have the patience. Sure I'm missing out but in all honesty, I quilt to relax.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Itwas in 1987 when I asked a friend if she would like to quilt - neither one of us had ever done so, but she "yes", so we went to the library first to check out quilting, then to a fabric store to see what we could get. She and I decided that day was THE DAY so we found patterns and materials, went back to my house, threw materials in the washer, ironed the materials, then sat to figure out what in the world we were doing! Ok, made a quilt from many blocks, no sense, but just wanted to do it! From beautiful blocks, i.e. using pencils andcardboard, cut out 12 blocks, sewed them, and finished them -now I realized we must have been kind of stupid - not one was a simple block! But I am so proud of what we did! I'll send apic of it later! taken up enough space on this reply! P.S. I'm hooked!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I started with templates and scissors. Boy what a time and energy saver the rotary cutter and ruler have been. It is just so much more accurate too. I did a log cabin, star quilt, bow quilt, Drunkard's path quillow. My very first quilt I used a cardboard square and a ink pen to trace the crimpaline knit squares. It is still going strong!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quilted long before rotary cutter. I made my templets from heavy sandpaper. they didn't slip when being drawn around. I made a Dresden Plate, 3 Tall Ships, 2 Tumbling Block,
several Rail Fence. and don't remember how many 9 Patch. Also bunches of appliqued baby quilts. Enjoyed them all, but confess to using my Rotary Cutter all the time now.