Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself >

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Very nice, and very he-man. Love the beautiful colors, and don't see any wonkys at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Oh plaids and stripes can be wonky. and yes, it does add to the charm of the quilt. Good going.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
After I was already into piecing it I noticed that some of the pieces were cut kind of wonky (i.e., the plaid pattern lines weren't parallel with the cut edge), so I probably should have squared them all to a slightly smaller size before piecing, but I guess we'll just say it's part of the "charm" of the quilt.
Good attitude! Great quilt!

All that would'a - should'a - could'a doesn't amount to a hill of beans unless you are willing to unsew all that beautiful work. Ain't worth the effort, I think. It's quite handsome just as is. (Notice my use of manly adjective here? lol)
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

This quilt is great! I love it.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

I love it Eddie! Manly or not!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Eddie, Great quilt. I guess I think about "manly" too when I'm quilting. I'm not sure what that is. I think it's just that I don't like pastel colors and "flowery" quilts. So I always go for darks and mediums. You did a great job as has been said so well by others. I think what you've helped me with is that the pattern helps in the use of the light colors (I'm sure everyone already knows this but me). So I'm going to try to get more lights in my quilts. Again, wonderful quilt.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Gary! Are you new here? Welcome from Roscoe IL.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Great quilt. First, I have to say I love to see men who are man enough to quilt. And I don't even BUY plaids and stripes. I don't want to have to try to align them. I even shy away from directional and repeat fabrics. I'm chicken, as you can tell. Good for you!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks again, everyone, you are too kind! :)

Originally Posted by Gary
Eddie, Great quilt. I guess I think about "manly" too when I'm quilting. I'm not sure what that is. I think it's just that I don't like pastel colors and "flowery" quilts. So I always go for darks and mediums. You did a great job as has been said so well by others. I think what you've helped me with is that the pattern helps in the use of the light colors (I'm sure everyone already knows this but me). So I'm going to try to get more lights in my quilts. Again, wonderful quilt.
After making 3 quilts for my wife and 2 daughters that were all about flowers, pinks, lime greens, purples, pastels, etc., I needed to make something for me that appealed to me and this was it. I'd had these charm packs on the shelf for a couple of months now, and I had bought them with the intent of making me a quilt out of them.

It's funny if you look at my stash of jelly rolls, layer cakes, and fabrics and then look at my wife's stash. Hers are either all these bright or pastel colors, while mine are all these subdued, earthy colors. There's no mistaking whose side of the cubbies you're looking at when you see them. :D
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM

I like 'em better when they're wonky. Gives 'em that old fashioned charm, instead of OCD (which is MY affliction!)