Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize a sewing room >

How to organize a sewing room

How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro
I need some help....do you organize your sewing fabric by project, by color, large verses small pieces of fabric, do you put them them in clear plastic containers, stack fabric just on shelves, use totes, put fat quarters by themselves or mix with like colors? My sewing room needs some major help in getting organized and I thought you folks might have some neat ideas so I didn't have to do the trial and error method. :)
You mean we're suppose to "organize"....!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 AM

@Kappy, well that's what they say, but you couldn't prove it by me!!! That's why I'm asking for help!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 AM

My sewing room isn't "organized", fabric is just put away. One day my organizer friend is going to come over and organize the fabrics. And you can't see what's in the closet.
Here's my sewing room. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-156247-1.htm
Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM

I just put shelving in my closet, and in the process of getting my beautiful dtash out of the bins. The problem I had with bins was I couldn't remember what I had- which became very apparent when I found a lot of duplicates of several fabrics that I loved.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Hi ladies,
I use a Closet Maid 9 cubicle organizer from Target I sort by project, fabric, trim and anything else goes into a cubbie, stacked neatly folded. I use several fabric boxes from Ikea, they hold my fat quarters, another my scissors, small rulers and my rotary cutter and blades. I have alot of yarn which I sort by project in the fabric cubbie bins that i no longer use in the cubbies also I have projects in each of them, they stack very nicely. It's easy for me to see and find things, if i can't see things i forget about them.
I hope this helps, I will post some pictures when I can, I am in no means a neat nick, just alot of trial and error.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM

The best tip I have gotten for organizing from this board is to put the fabric I buy for a project in a ziploc bag WITH the pattern. I had been doing the first part but not the second. Then I would find a bag of fabric and wonder what in the world I had planned for it.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM

my sewing room is half of our unfinished basement, it is warm, well lit and I have carpeting under my machine to keep my feet warm. I have a old crome kitchen table with large cutting mat to cover the whole table, I use a shelves with bins on one side of the wall for material color cooridinated. I have a dresser that holds all supplies. I have a larger Koala table for my primary sewing machine, If not using another sewing machine I have a small iron and mat next to me for pressing. I have ironing board set up next to cutting table. And if I really have to I can put in a load of wash while I am down there. I have a small refrigerator down there to keep refreshments and a telephone, small music system so I can hear my country music while I spend endless time sewing & quilting and having time creating.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I have a system that changes, when I have a day and just
want to play. I put Christmas print in one, fall & t-day &
halloween in one, light colors in one, med. in one. dark in one. Then I went to large & heavy fabric in a cabniet bottom. I have fat sq. in a cute bag on top of shelf where
the fabric drawers are. Then on back of door a shoe rack has odds & ends. Elastic, velco, iron cleaner, iron on, etc.
Like this way best for now.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Organized chaos seems to be about the best I can do these days!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM

My stash is in larger amounts than fat quarters and not so much variety. At present, I hang color groupings in folded strips on clothes hangers in a spare closet. Works for me. Does anyone else do this, or just me?