Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-16-2011, 02:21 PM

My father passed away in MO, but was being buried in IL. My brother wanted to drive Dad back here for the wake & funeral so drove his van down there when we went to see Dad for the last time.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM

I have knitted a prayer shawl for my son when I pass. I made a quilt to be buried with my SIL this past August. I like the idea of a quilt instead of flowers.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:41 PM

That's what we do in our family. Started years ago. To me, it more comforting that flowers.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 PM

wow alot of great ideas.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
When my husband passed, I did not have a funeral. Instead I had a 'Celebration of Life' Party, and forbid everyone from wearing black, said jeans and a flannel shirt (his favorate). We had a pot-luck day, family and friends.....He was cremated and sits on my mantel, one day will be buried in the local Military cemetary, but not until I am gone.
My ex-husband, who was a very good friend after the divorce, wanted a party at the neighborhood bar. The owners & friends set up a buffet. Most of the patrons were friends and like family. Many stories were told & there was a lot of "do you remember ?". Toward the end, several people spoke about what he had meant to them. Funny, sad, bittersweet, yes, but it also spoke volumes about him. :D

His body was donated to science. He wanted his ashes scattered along the hedgerow where his precious dog, Monster, & many other family pets were buried. Family and a few friends were there. One friend had a six-pack & took a beer over there so he could have 'one last one' with his friend.

This all may sound disrespectful, but this is what he wanted. If you'd known him, it was very appropriate. It truly was a "Celebration of his Life", complete with jeans & flannel shirts. :thumbup: He left the way he wanted to go.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM

I made a lap quilt for my "adopted" mom... when she passed, her daughter asked after the funeral if she could keep the quilt, which I happily said that her mother would expect that. What loving memories... and loving gift from both quilter and loved one.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Since I will have so many quilts for family when I go to heaven that I made one that celebrated a personal triumph in my life, no satin blanket for me.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:56 PM

The saddest funeral I ever attended is one where the family requested no flowers and everyone did as they wished. A much loved quilt on the casket would be wonderful but flowers have their place also. I can't see myself being able to make a quilt solely for that purpose and I don't think it would make be very happy to have it in plain sight at my house.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:33 PM

This is an interesting topic. A couple weeks ago I went with my parents to their local funeral home to try and decide what they wanted. The flowers were quite expensive. I would love the idea of a funeral/casket quilt, however my mother does not like quilts. Told me to never make her one. But I will tell DH that instead of flower he should place my favorite quilt over my casket.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Have thought about that and also ordering a stone with a quilt on it...that would be pretty neat!