Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize a sewing room >

How to organize a sewing room

How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Well my sewing room always changes but here's how I have it now..

On one table I have my 4500D, it's built into a table, so it's gotta stay put. Underneath I have many containers that contain my wool and Christmas fabric.

To the right of that is my cutting table. To the left are little containers that I have scissors, extra bobbins, and nit noid things.

Continue on to the left is my BSPro with die underneath, plus my scrap fabric to be cut.

Next table, has my Ellegante set up for embroidery. I have it sitting on a countertop with 2 cabinets on either side for the base.

Next to that is some of my fabric in an enclosed cabinet. I keep my fabric by type. Homespun, patriotic, yardage. I also have containers where I keep the jelly rolls, charm packs, and layer cakes.

Moving more to the left is where my bookshelf is..

Then I have my ironing station that is also set on a cabinet base. I made a large iron board so it over hangs on the ends. On the one end are 2 of the 7 drawer plastic container thingys and I have finished blocks in there that need to be put together to make a quilt.

Under the ironing board I have batting, stuffing, large items.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:59 PM

I think I do a little of all of it.
Pieces for projects are bundled together, maybe with a pattern.
Fat quarters are together and yardage is on a shelf in the closet by color.
Pieces smaller than a yard are in boxes by color.
Scraps are in tubs and some are sitting on my ironing board pressed and ready to cut (I just haven't decided how).
Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Well this is really like picking out a special perfume, I think it is personal, but not a secret. I am an organized person and I have a bedroom for my sewing room. I can be in the middle of playing with my friends(quilting).....it can get pretty small and pretty messy.....then I have to stop and clean it up. Then I go at it again. I try to keep it in 2 ways. #1 is ----What do I want to look at on a regular basis, Books can be orderly and I have 2 book shelves, one on each side of the 2 large windows. I reserve the top 2 shelves on each shelf for the "dust me's"....Pictures of grand kids and special things People have given me through the years. then I have a cutting table, well lighted and I can store things under it. My Ironing board is an old wooden one. I keep it standing under the cutting table. It just slides right under and helps it not to look so junky. I have to be able to pull the IB out when I need it. #2--I try to keep my fabric out of the light and in the closet. I use ART Bins to contain ufo's or special supplies. I think of this room as "where I work" and spend many happy hours in here. I have a really comfortable chair.....I can share it with maybe 2 of 4 schnausers. I can rest or dream up the next one. I have my fabrics in a neat order, but not by color, maybe size. I share what ever "bothers" me with who ever would like to have it. I keep my own house, no housekeeper, so it gets dusty or the dogs bring in debris from our dry yard. I do laundry and cook meals. My sewing room is good for me and 2 other quilters and my sister who has her own coloring table so she can be in here with us. She is 50 and Down Syndrome. It is only a bedroom of average size and it does get a little close and small with all of us in here,but we all laugh and visit and love to be together....kinda like kitchens at the holidays....If your room works for you, no matter what you have or how you keep it.....enjoy. I got more sewing done before I had a room to dedicate just to sewing.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Since I don't generally stash, I organize by project. After I am done with a project I organize the "leftovers" by color and that becomes my stash. When I have enough leftovers or enough of a color that I am looking for in a project then the leftover gets moved to the project organization.

I do that with soup too. Whenever there are leftover veggies or meats that are not enough for one serving I put them in the freezer and when I get enough little bits of this and that, I make soup.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:24 PM

my sewing room is still a work in progress, but i am getting some organization to it after working on it for 2 years. I converted the formal living room that never got uses, and put my long arm in the middle of it. I have my Bernina in my old singer cabinet, and a Janomie on my grandmothers library table in front of a window. 3 or the 4 corners have bookcases to store fabric. Anything 1Yd + is folded flat bolt style and stacked in one area. under 1 yd is folded another way and fits on the same shelves. Anything 4 Yds or more is in another corner, along with my wide backs, along with white and beige tone on tones, and misc things like the heavy pellon for bags. The third bookcase is more of the shorter lengths 1+yds. The forth corner has 4 of those rolling plastic drawer systems, stacked 2 on 2. The small drawers hold threads, (4 of them), then some drawers have specility things like baby flannel, terry for bibs, Christmas, things like that. All the bottom shelves have plastic totes from Stapples to hold specific projects that I am collecting for. I also have another wood stand that was made to hold records, it is wonderful for notebooks loaded with magazines and patterns. the dog has his man cave (the crate) under one end of the long arm, the other has 4 large totes with the rest of the fabric that I just do not know where to put! Yes, I have a big stash, my mom and I were competeing to see who could have the most, but then I inherited all of hers...
Old 10-16-2011, 03:33 PM

mine is both by color and some by project. Mostly for aesthetics!!!! Even got this book case just to show off my small stash (most of which I bought from the board) Does anyone see their fabric?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-272444.jpe
Views:	87
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	272497  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by overdew
My stash is in larger amounts than fat quarters and not so much variety. At present, I hang color groupings in folded strips on clothes hangers in a spare closet. Works for me. Does anyone else do this, or just me?
I am in the process of hanging all of my yardage on hangers on a rod. Just waiting for DH to put the rod up. Then I will organize by color, and also by season/holiday.

Do you like yours on hangers?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM

I do all of that. I have my larger pieces as flat folds on shelves in a cabinet, I have my scraps (I am an appliquer) in shoe box plastic totes all labeled and my UFO's are in a large tote labeled as such. Have projects that I want to do that I specifically bought fabric for in another tote and all my loose patterns are in 3 ring binders. Books (650+) are on shelves in my closet. I just finished this arrangement while recovering from surgery and I am very please with it. I know at a glance where everything is and I am being good about putting things away where they belong because I have fought a messy sewing room for 20+ years. I guess I am growing up. HEE HEE
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Recently one of our guild members did a program on organizing your stash. I've been working on mine but haven't finished. I just get to work a while each day, but I'm eating away at it. In the program she said to use a ruler to fold the fabric and that way, each piece will be the same width. With the selveges together, you just lay the ruler across the fabric and roll it up. It looks pretty much like the bolts in the fabric store, without the bolt. Then you slide the ruler out, fold the fabric in half and stack it neatly wherever you have a place to stack it. I separated mine (or tried to) by color, then by light, medium, or dark.

I have a book shelf that I bought several years ago from IKEA and it has bins that are about 13 x 13. Using a 6-inch ruler, I folded my fabric and it fit perfectly in two stacks in each bin.

As I folded and stacked, I realized just how much fabric I have, and I think I could quilt for a while without buying more fabric. I really feel bad about having so much stuff, especially after doing two mission trips and finding out how little some people have. Therefore, I've sworn off buying fabric for a while.

Good luck on your organizing.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Organize?