Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 AM

after my mother relocated to a nursing home, i made a scrappy quilt for her...several stories associated with that quilt, by the way, and its adventures on the third floor. anyway, that quilt covered my mother's casket. i had also made a wall hanging for her room, using family photos. that piece was displayed next to the casket and then we buried it with her. i have the quilt and keep it close to me. mom sewed and as a child i never understood why she kept the "left over" fabric from our garments. i have no idea where all those scraps went as my sister was only able to provide me with a select few...........oh well, i've got plenty of my own now!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 AM

Here in my area, I have attended several funerals where a quilt was used on the casket. It really makes me emotional because I love quilts and quilting so much. I recently was at a memorial service (no body) and a quilt was draped on a table in the church. I have several friends who have made a quilt and have designated it to be used when they pass on.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 AM

Our daughter's cocker spaniel was very sick, I had made her doggie a quilt o be buried in. Our daughter was so touched. We do love our pets too!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 AM

What a great idea. Even tho I love flowers. This is especially a good idea since my husband has made both of our caskets. I want to be buried with a quilt because I do not want visitation, a Memorial Service. Can display quilts I guess.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
Originally Posted by Lacelady

My dad insisted that we spend as little as possible on his funeral - he had a strong opinion on the kind of profits funeral directors seemed to want. He even wanted us to find him a cardboard coffin
I'm not even going to suggest a cardboard box to my dad. He thinks funerals are a waste of money and told us to throw him in a burlap sack and throw in a hole we dig in the yard so he can still fertilize the yard once he's gone (he and my mom have a lawncare business).
I met a lady this weekend who's hubbie is in Hospice. She, along with family and friends, made him a shroud. It was lovely, everyone made a square, with whatever was meaningful to them... Prayers, designs, a bandana he wore, and the center was a painting he had done... He will have a "green" burial, no embalming, no casket. Loved the idea.

These are wonderful espressions of love...I never would have thought of a quilt instead of flowers.
Banned

yep, there have been several famous casket quilts done over the years!
http://www.lindacarlsonquilts.com/quiltingtosoothe.htm

and it is NOT something new....
http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/mourning.htm

our guild actually had a program on this a few years back..seems every growing in popularity these days!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 AM

I started mine about 10 years ago. I have 7 children so I've made mine in 7 strips of 7 blocks. Each strip represents the interests of that child ie favorite hobby, residence etc. The strips will be attached to each other in order of birth. I will be using decorative buttons or something along that line. After my service, the kids will be able to take their portion of the quilt. It can be used for a table or bed runner. The kids won't let me talk about it, say it's morbid but it's just a fact of life. We are all going to die. I had rather them be able to have something more than a dried up flower press in the Bible :-D

Man is like a breath;
His days are like a passing shadow. Psalm 144:4
Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 AM

That's funny about hurling your ashes at a neighbor (I'm twisted) but I used to tell my present (and final) husband, cremate me and throw a hand full at each ex husband....But I seem to be outliving most of them.

Lynn
Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
what a wonderful and thoughtful idea
I agree!