Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Building ____________ with DH >

Building ____________ with DH

Building ____________ with DH

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM

My DH and I work very well together. We have rehabed a couple of homes, worked in the s me place of employment, and stil get along super. I am so fortunate to have such a DH in my life.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

We DO NOT work well together
Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM

we farmed together many yrs. built our house ourselves. but, will never forget the time we were erecting a wet bin/holding tank for corn/grain before it was fed into a drying system. the tank was like 10'ft across, corragated metal round shape. the top was put together lst, then we put 4 ft sections on and raised the roof. put another 4 ft section on and jacked it up higher. at times i was 'trapped inside.' untill it was raised 4 ft for the next row.
one of the kids, came and said, 'dad, phone'. and it was at a pt i was trapped inside. i told him, okay, go answer the phone, but come right back. an hr later, he was still gone. and i was going 'bananas' trapped in a round, metal 10ft circle, in the heat of summer. after a while, i picked up a hammer and started beating on the side of it.
to make a long story short, cartoons had grabbed him on a sat. morning. and he was afraid to let me out, till i promised i would not kill him. funny all these yrs. later.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Just to clarify, I really do like working together with my DH. It's time together seeing how I work 7a-7p and he works the midnight shift.

We've also painted just about every room together and built 3 chicken pens together. The roof will be tackled some time next year. That one I'm not really looking forward to, as I get nervous about being on the third wrung from the bottom on a 6' ladder.

At times I'll suggest something, sometimes he likes my way of thinking, other times, not so much. Later on, he'll say 'You know we probably should do it this way." Which is what I stated or was thinking, but I just say "That's a great idea." It works best that way. No need to argue.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 AM

Well My DH bought a 1979 ford truck Outside body in great shape .The bench seat inside previous owner 's dog shredded the drivers side. So on saturday I cut dense foam replaced 1/2 of the seat & started the upholstery. By 5pm I was exhausted we quit. Then about noon on Sunday finished the whole seat & re installed it in the truck looks real nice . Sure beat the $400. the shop wanted now extra $$ for more fabric. We work better together now , earlier years we just couldn't agree on things. Guess old age has helped. Ha Ha
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 AM

My DH and I have done several projects including major home rennovations. Right now we are restoring a 1902 Victorian we just bought as our retirement home. Some days things go well, other times...not so much. We both understand what works well and try to avoid areas of conflict by approaching the subject when we are not tired and or stressed. We also have learned to give in to the other with specific things that are very important to each. DH gets very hyper organized when he is stressed/tired and I just want to "get 'er done" when I am stressed/tired; we've learned to negotiate and work through those times. We also love the results and think about how much we will enjoy it when finished. There are areas of the rennovation that I manage the changes (kitchen) and areas that he controls (his office and garage) He also has a good design eye and has helped me design several quilts.

oh my Dh and I have done many home repairs together. ceramic tile, rebuilt 3 kitchens, painted, cabinets he built and
we hung. plumbing, laid sod, put in windows, etc.
when we bought our present house he bull dozed the front of it off and started from the ground up.
He also helps me in the sewing room. and i hope he will finish putting this binding on a baby quilt that i am sick of seeing.

We built a house together! We did all but the plumbing and concrete work ourselves. Lots of good together time, but lots of disagreements, also! We still have the doors and trim to install along with the stone on the fireplace wall. But it is ours and we love it!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 AM

we can do most things together. We even ran a restaurant kitchen together and did fine. However, if we ever paint a room together again I may commit murder.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 AM

What to mention first........Built a shed, shelves, a trailer to carry camping gear in, fence, boxes, 2 porches,etc, Now if you asked what I had helped my dad build the list would go like this, sub floors, kitchen counters, dressers. clotheslines, and anything I could help with. Our family is filled with carpenters as a trade so I have been around that most of my life.
My DH finally listened to me also because he finally realized he works himself to death and still gets it confused.lol