Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM

So many of us, me included, are at an age (or condition) where it is almost foolish NOT to consider the inevitable. I've learned there is a current movement to "natural" or "green" burials here in the USA. I'd make such arrangements if only the places were closer; however, making preferences known to family is pretty easy and arrangements can be made as "green" as possible. I am currently working on a beautiful Michael Miller angel panel purchased from Fabrics.com which I want to be used at my funeral. Talk about being prepared! ☺
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 AM

What a great idea. Think I'll add that to my will.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 AM

I have never seen it done before ,but I think its a great idea much more personal,
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 AM

The first thing that came to mind was a memory, photo quilt. It would be great to have for the family.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM

I would love to see it when you finish it
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Our group made a quilt for a local priest.. When he died he wanted to be buried with it.. but since they had to bury him in his vestments.. They had the quilt on a stand next to the casket.. It was so nice of them to do that...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 AM

I, along with others that have also stated, will be donating my useable organs for someone else to use and I will also be cremated. Adding the drapping of one of my favorite quilt will definitely happen. Thisis a lovely way to express one of my true passions in life one last time. Quilting is a fairly new addition to what I enjoy doing in life though I've sewn for years but it has definitely become one of my biggest enjoyments in life. And my DH promises that if I go first he will sprinkle my ashes in some of my favorite fabric stores :) Now that made us both laugh and warmed my heart that he understood this addiction/love I have for quilting. And though he loves shopping for fabrics with me, he wants to do the same but have his ashes sprinkled in Legoland!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM

never gave it any thought until it was mentioned. Wonderful idea. If I make my own quilt...I can have the flowers that I want...even if they aren't in season. Thanks for the thought!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM

OMG this is too weird! I've been diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertenion & from what I've read a person only lives 3-5 yrs after diagnosis. Well I don't believe that but of course it's made me think of the time I do go. I told DH I wanted my OWN quilt show. I want all the quilts I've made displayed up & down the isles of the funeral home where I'm laid out! I don't want flowers but I want trees planted for me instead.So glad I'm not the only one thinking ahead! I also know I'm going to quilter's heaven because my friend & I talked about this. She is already there, saving me a seat beside her. My only problem is I need to find out if there is a room for hubbies! I don't want to abandon him in the end!

I had Mother here with me at my house when she passed away. Her & Dad just loved me quilting, they thought it was the greatest. When the funeral home came to take her away, the body bag was a blue & white star quilted bag! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I wanted a picture of her being taken out but my DH said it wasn't right. To this day I still wish I had. What a way for her final ending is to be taken out in a quilted body bag. She would have loved that
Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 AM

A great idea. My sister made a quilt specifically to be buried with my dad when he passed.