Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 AM

I think about death often. It's as natural a part of life as birth.
I'm not afraid. When my time has been called by God, I'm ready. I dont' WANT to die, but I'll accept when it's my time. Strange, huh? I don't know. We don't have much choice in the matter and I am a Christian. We are so fortunate to have such a kind and loving God who sent his only son , Jesus, who died for our sins and has RISEN.
I want to have everything in order so that nobody has to pay or decide on anything. The GOod Lord willing, I'll get this done before he calls me home. I do think that I will be buried with a quilt inside the casket and it is a very nice idea you have about the other.
A friend's mother died this past summer and everyone brought their quilts she had made for them and displayed them , then brought them back home.
I think it's nice that you brought this up.
They actually make pine coffins, simple, and you can line them with one of your quilts or a quilt from them you order.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 AM

This is beautiful, is not often that people speak about the this. Is true we are all going to go sometime. I love flowers, I would like a quilt with flowers on it. But I am the only one in my family that does quilts. So I guess I will have to make my own for that day when it comes. Thank you
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 AM

I love this idea! Flowers are beautiful, but so short-lived and expensive. We normally contribute to a charity of the deceased's choice (or choice of the family)rather than send flowers. Also, our church (Episcopal) uses a funeral pall rather than flowers during the service. It would be lovely once the pall is removed to replace it with a quilt over the casket to be taken to the graveside service.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM

That is a beautiful idea~~~something that will always be cherished and passed down.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 AM

When my SIL's mother died, the family draped her casket in the prayer quilt I had made for during her struggle with cancer. All her friends, doctors, and pastor had signed the quilt when they came to visit. After the service, the quilt was folded and presented back to the family. One family member has it draped over the back of her sofa. Hospice has requested permission to use the idea and my SIL's church is now making prayer quilts to continue the tradition. I think it is a good idea to use a quilt instead of spending hundreds of dollars for flowers. IMO.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 AM

I have seen it done. I made a Cathedral Window quilt that I want used instead of flowers for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM

You know, I have never made a quilt just for me. Maybe that would be a good time to have one used. LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
I've see this done. A quilter used her husband's quilt over his casket. It was beautiful..Yes the flowers are expensive. At our mother's funeral last Thursday, family members were talking about the spray of pink roses and baby's breath. it was beautiful, but today when I saw them at her grave, they're just about gone already. And they were each in a seperate vial of water. I told my kids then that I wanted one of my quilts to be used on mine. They find that topic very morbid, but as they get older they will understand.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 AM

I THINK IT IS A GREAT IDEA!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
That's a great idea. In some European countries, the custom was to buy caskets when you got married. The caskets were used as furniture pieces (like a large chest at the end of the bed) until needed. Then you only had to buy the casket liner for the funeral.