Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Should I worry about this email scam? >

Should I worry about this email scam?

Should I worry about this email scam?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Good point Scissor Queen! :D I deleted the contact and I am running a virus scan. Too bad people have to attempt this kind of thing.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM

How do you know he wasn't setting you up when you discussed genealogy? Change your password and do not correspond with him again. and do not give him any more information about yourself!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
I did start a new email and Whoa this is weird! I just sent him and email to explain what happened and this was the reply......

Oh no...l know this sounds weird and you wouldn't believe me...Yes, am really stuck out and it's so devastating at the moment i really need your help l wish l could cal but l don't have access to phone at the moment , I really need your help to get myself out of this mess. The hotel management has been kind to let have an access to a library to get across to anybody to help me since my luggage was also taken away.Hope to hear from you soon.....I don't really have much time i'm in a Local Library right now please get me out of here.
I was in a similar situation with an online "friend" after months of back and forth emails - all very friendly - he started asking for $$ - scam run the other way!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Help!!

I just received an email with an address of an older gentleman who I have corresponded about family genealogy earlier this year.

I know it was not from him so I deleted it and I know it is a scam asking for money to bail him out in another country due to unfortunate circumstances. Okay, so I deleted the email. Now I am wondering if I should be concerned about identity theft since they used one of my personal contacts. What should I do any one know?
I would email the gentleman back and let him know his email has been hacked.
BINGO. Then block sender.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM

This. This has happened to my daughter, and she changed her password on all her on-line accounts.

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Help!!

I just received an email with an address of an older gentleman who I have corresponded about family genealogy earlier this year.

I know it was not from him so I deleted it and I know it is a scam asking for money to bail him out in another country due to unfortunate circumstances. Okay, so I deleted the email. Now I am wondering if I should be concerned about identity theft since they used one of my personal contacts. What should I do any one know?
I would email the gentleman back and let him know his email has been hacked.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 AM

THIS SCREAMS SCAM to me.

Have you called his home to see if he's there? Scams always put a person away from home.

Tell your friend that you are going to call the police to visit him at the hotel and verify his troubles.

*******Ask him for the NAME AND ADDRESS of the hotel or the library.*******

If this gentleman really is your friend and needs your help, let the police find him and verify his story. If he's someone masquerading as your friend, my guess is he won't be willing to give you the info you ask for, or will give you bogus info. If he gives you any info, check it online. Don't call a phone number as he can give a friends number to you, and then answer as the hotel and 'verify' the story.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM

I really recommend you also contact the police. This sounds a bit criminal to me, and the fact that there is a request for money, is what they show on the news all the time after someone loses thousands of dollars.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM

If you keep talking to the hacker he has access to your account. Delete all contact now!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

It is a scam. You are the one in danger of being taken for money, not him. You should simply delete. Scammers send these emails out and are looking for someone to reply to them...then they know they have someone 'hooked'. According to the tech person at my school, just delete, delete, delete.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Find someone else to help with your ancestry. DO NOT FALL FOR IT. He should have someone closer to him to help him..
Also inform the police...If you have his email let them check it out.....they love this intrigue and may bust up a scam.