Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Never thought about it but I love the idea. I hate the waste of $$ on the flowers too.

Suzy
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM

I only want 3 long-stemmed roses with some fern and a bit of babies breath, and a ribbon around it. That money that is saved by not buying big fancy casket sprays can be used for the food pantry to help those in need in our small town. The most important thing that I want people to know, is my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Without Him as my Lord and Savior, nothing in my life would mean anything. I want my family and friends to know He is the only way to eternal life. I have been using up my stashes and clearing out the knick-knacks, and giving away stuff I don't want anymore. One of our knitting group ladies passed away, her kids had the afghan she was working on draped over her coffin and with Scrabble letters, spelled out, knit, crochet, sew, etc. It was much more touching than all of the flowers.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Lovely thoughts everyone has expressed here. My mum died two weeks ago and we had the funeral last week and considered putting the family tree quilt I had made on the coffin but didn't. My mum wanted people to sign her casket so we had one rose with some greenery and coloured pens around the casket. At the end of the service everyone came up and wrote a message on it. We photographed all the messages and it was very special to read everyone's thoughts. In hindsight the quilt would have been lovely to have draped over the casket also and removed for the signing. Makes me think of what I may do some day and I will certainly have a quilt. Lovely thoughts expressed on this thread.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by resource fabricologist
A friend of mine died recently and quilts of all kinds were brought in and draped over the pews. I thought this was a neat final tribute to her.
I love this idea as I have decided to be cremated rather than waste all that money on a coffin, vault and cemetery plot.

But I will be having a memorial service and I'd love for all my quilting buds to display my quilts and theirs on the pews! We have a ladies quilting group at the church called Hands 2 Hearts and this would be a fitting tribute!

BTW, hospice has a free booklet called "5 wishes" that allows you to designate 'fun things' as well as the technical stuff like what music you want (I want to end my service with "I'll Fly Away!"), how you wish to be buried, do you want communion served at your memorial service,etc.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM

I started a group that makes prayer quilts for church members that are sick or having hard times. Many of these fine folks have passed on to the greater beyond, and many of them have had their prayer quilt either laying on the casket or very close nearby. In our circle, since so many have received the quilts, it is the "thing" to do.

Some of the quilts went with their owners, others were left to the survivors. It is a wonderful ministry and appreciated by all.

I can see no reason not to make a special quilt for your viewing. After all, maybe a beautiful quilt will distract the mourners from seeing "how bad you look". (Who is going to look good dead?) It is something that your survivors can have and to hold for a long time. Flowers will last about 4-5 days.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Friends did this for their Mom several years ago.
And since then, several others have followed with one or several quilts on display!

At another funeral this past spring, the lady had been working on a quilt, with one block left to finish. They had the quilt at the funeral, and the one last block in her hand in the coffin. Since then her DIL completed the quilt for her. Then her husband (son of) decided it HAD to be shown at the Fair, just as Mom always would have done so. And so it was, winning a ribbon!! What a beautiful story, and perfect ending!! :)

As a sidestep here ... when my husband died, I didn't have the traditional casket spray, rather chose a milker with a bouquet worked in the top of it. We set it on the floor right next to the casket!! His tombstone is not traditional either ... rather an oversized rock from our farm that I had mounted, and with an engraved cow, and our farm name. The traditional details are on mounted on the base.
Wow that is beautiful...it made me almost cry... I love this idea..
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Great Idea We spent over $400 for my mom's blanket and it was gone in a a day. She would have loved it too as she thought flowers were a waste. However, those who can't quilt would want to buy one and the funeral home would buy something quilted overseas and charge a fortune. Or someone here could start making them but think of how much you would have to charge. It would be more then the flowers. Make it now and put it on you when you can enjoy it
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM

I think I, too, would prefer a quilt on my casket to flowers. My husband's was covered with the American flag since he was a USN veteran and I much preferred that. I'm with the group...too much waste for something that only lasts a few days.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM

I have told my kids I don't want flowers, just have some pretty quilts hung all around me. What could be more "comforting".
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
One of the ladies who embroidered many a quilt for our church had her casket covered by the last quilt she did.

I may ask for my GFG crocheted afagan to cover me.