Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM

there is a lady Leah Day and she has some excellent u tube tutorials. I just typed in leah day utube and her web site comes up. She has everthing you need to know, it you select start here in the at the top of her web site, she has information on how to set up your table, using the walking foot and etc. it is a excellent web site. IMO Don't give up. Machine quilting takes lots of practice. Put on some practice pieces and just try to practice at least an hour a day. You will get better.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 AM

Marty Michell has a book out about machine quilting in sections. I have done the method of cutting the batting out so you quilt in thirds and it works great!! The batting can be put back together easily with 2 1/2" strips of fusible interfacing. I don't have the name of the book because I loaned it to a friend. It is a great help.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 AM

It is difficult. It takes a while to be able to roll that quilt and sew it without all the puckers. Don't give up.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Is there any way you can quilt it by hand?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 AM

I turn my sewing machine so the back of it is against my dining room table and use that to spread the weight out. Don't give up it does work
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM

I read your post to my husband - he said, "Sounds like you wrote it". Several times I tried quilting a large quilt and he sat on the other end of the table rolling it as I quilted! Not an easy thing for me or something I will try again.
I agree with another person - not enough pins. I had them every 3" all over a queen-size quilt--hundreds of pins. I figured that the $100-$150 I pay to have my quilts quilted saves my sanity, my marriage, and LOTS of money ($8-10,000 for a long arm machine???!) I will spend my time and effort on piecing, and hire the quilting done.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 AM

Bike clips work really well.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 AM

I have quilted a full size high loft quilt for my grandson on my Ellegante. All SID and echo. No problems except took lots of breaks and did not roll, but bunched under the 9" throat. I did it in sections dividing it into fourths starting at the middle going to the edge. I purchased a Babylock Jane that does single stitch and also has a 9" throat to use with a frame my son is designing (using the Flynn frame) so that the machine moves instead of the frame. Using the Flynn only because it is already bought and we are using the Flynn pieces to make our own frame. I too do not have room for a large frame and wishful thinking but cannot spend to get the HQ Sixteen. Yet.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 AM

[quote=crystaltx]I have been cruising along, piecing my first quilt, but I am having a heck of a time with the actual quilting on my sewing machine. It's so big, it is just impossible. I don't know how I will ever finish it without it puckering or having crooked lines. Does anyone have any tips on the actual quilting process on a regular machine? I guess that is why some of you have long arm quilting machines, they look nice but expensive. If I don't find a way to do this, I'm afraid I will never try this again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have a walking foot and I'm just doing the ditch stitching right now...I am starting in the middle and trying to work my way out, but I can't really switch direction of course. I have the quilt kind of rolled up but I have to move it all the time so everything bunches and shifts. I have about 100 safety pins holding the sandwich in place though so it is probably ok. This just doesn't seem fun =/[/quote

Try this site http://www.craftys.com and look for machine quilting with Wendy Butler Berns . I had a horrible time just like you and found this online class. It cost $29.00 but was the best $29.00 I ever spent on learning to machine quilt
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 AM

ABC123retired, I think that you have a genius method! I LOVE IT! I am a hand quilter and have been struggling with learning to quilt by machine....this I am definitely going to try. Thank you for clueing us in to this.