Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting and the LQS >

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at the lqs. I hope you can find another one that will be more receptive to hand quilters. The are some beautiful threads on the market for hand quilters that can make your life easier. The big box stores carry all the run of the mill stuff. I took a hand applique class with a lady from Wisconsin who does the most amazing hand work. She spends hours on her quilts. She uses some really nice threads that she orders online.

I have a longarm business because I could not hand quilt fast enough. I love the look, but I just can't spend the time on it and accomplish much. It took me 2 years to get my daughter's wedding quilt completed. I admire those who do the wonderful handwork. Keep up what you do and don't let anyone put you down for it, even if it is with a bad attitude.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Hand quilting is all I do too, except a couple months ago I did two baby quilts by machine, but other than that I always just hand quilt. This is where true art lies, I believe. Although I do agree that machine quilting is an art too. It's not easy, just not that traditional and related to the true history and heritage of quilting.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 AM

Sorry you were disappointed with your experience, but you can't assume that all quilt shops will address all needs. They cater to what their customers express an interest in. Out of the 5 quilt shops I go to, 3 not only carry hand quilting stuff, but hold classes on it. The other two haven't a clue about handwork. All 5 have applique, but only one seriously supports hand applique without fusibles.

It's no different from the knitting shops. At my local store, the first 3 years they were in business, they only had expertise on socks and felting. That was it. They finally hired someone who actually knitted sweaters. They still primarily focus on socks and scarves because that is what the women who are buying yarn are making.

I've been quilting long enough to know that we lost 3 valuable shops over the last 15 years due to retirement or health issues. These were shop owners with decades of experience in all forms of quilting. At the same time, those who hand quilt have dwindled down to a small percentage of quilters.

My suggestion is that instead of dissing your LQS, tell them what tools you need on a regular basis. The shop closest to me now carries very nice needles for hand piecing and quilting and hand applique as well as silk thread and an assortment of hand quilting thread. They may not have the special tools, but if you tell them about it, they may stock it.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM

I'm also a handquilter and don't use a thimble or a frame, just pin it. This Aunt Becky tool sure does look neat and it's so fast! I'd buy it, but don't want to pay the shipping for just one item. Maybe the next time I order something else from CT, I'll order Aunt Becky.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

sorry you had a bad experience but I find that each shop has its own personality
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM

sorry you had a bad experience but I find that each shop has its own personality
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
I want an "Aunt Becky" too. Where did you get yours?
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D80688.html

Let me know if you like it!
Connecting threads should give you a percentage. I've seen several ask where you got yours; and I had already found the site from your post and ordered me one along with some quilting gloves!!!! LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy
I have had the same experience with several quilt stores. They don't cater to hand quilting but there are enough that do that I get along. One of the reasons I like to hand quilt is that I don't need a lot of tools to do it so I am not going to be a big spender. I was shocked when I went to a quilt store in a small town and they did not carry hand quilting thread at all. Amazing. They had a good selection of fabric though. Again, I don't buy much because I just don't need much.
Would have to say LQS have nice fabric but, as others have said, some can be really snooty. The snooty ones usually say, with great enthusiasm, "Oh, bring in what you're working on. We'd LOVE to see it!" but, I've noticed that when you do their smile rarely reaches their eyes and they are scanning it to see if you used their fabric. Have been in some really wonderful quilt shops but the others are out there, too, so, don't give up on quilt shops.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lttrslogo
What a nice surprise as I was reading through the post to see your comment about going to the Fabric Shack in Waynesville. You are right and it is a great shop. Lived in Dayton, Oh but did not quilt at the time. Have visited this shop when returning to Dayton to visit friends.
Oh, my gosh! If you can't find what you're looking for there you won't find it anywhere! They do have a website:
www.fabricshack.com or you can email at: [email protected]
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM

The two lqs I frequent do not carry anything for hand quilters except the fabric of course. There are a number of LQS in NH, but since I am handicapped it's tough to go 'shopping around' to each of them to see IF they have what I need! Some places stack so much in the aisles I can't get my wheelchair through!
If there is anyone in the Manchester NH area that knows where hand quilting needs are sold ie proper needles, thimbles, aunt Becky, proper batting, hoops etc,etc., please please let me know! I have spent a fortune in 'shipping and handling' fees by buying online. Money that could be spent on fabric!