Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning! >

Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning!

Look What I Found at a Garage Sale This Morning!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

How wonderful! I had a Sunbonnet Sue quilt (double bed size) that a friend of my mother's made for me when I was young. My son rented an above garage room that wasn't very warm. He took some bedding and sleeping bags including my quilt. When he moved out and back to his dad's he didn't get everything out. I went to get the stuff and she came back with a blanket and said that was all. I lost two fairly new sleeping bags and and worse, my quilt. I was just sick that I had lost my quilt.

I got some blocks of a different style girl one time at a garage sell in a box of fabric I bought for less about $5. I made my oldest granddaughter a twin size quilt, my youngest a baby quilt and still had 2 or 3 left. My sis used one to make our aunt a a welcome banner.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:19 AM

Hurry up and put some sashing and get the top made. A little girl is waiting for this!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:25 AM

What a hit! I wish they had yard sale findings like that here!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 PM

:D I received my package of Sunbonnet Sues today; and they are unbelievable. I look at the hand stitching and the "not-so-square" backgrounds and it saddens me even more to think about someone giving this up at a yard sale! I can almost see my grandmother sitting there stitching. Pardon the nostalgia. Hopefully it won't take forever for me to get them all put together.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

So glad you are pleased! Post a picture when you get them finished. Thanks Brenda!
:mrgreen:

Originally Posted by brendadawg
:D I received my package of Sunbonnet Sues today; and they are unbelievable. I look at the hand stitching and the "not-so-square" backgrounds and it saddens me even more to think about someone giving this up at a yard sale! I can almost see my grandmother sitting there stitching. Pardon the nostalgia. Hopefully it won't take forever for me to get them all put together.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Is someone crazy? They sold these to someone out of the family? What is wrong with people!

I am sorry ... but, I know you understand what I am saying. These little sunbonnets tooks hours and days to make. It makes me sad for the maker they got rid of them.

I am happy for you though, because you will make them into something special and treasure them as your own.
The poor woman may have felt bad getting rid of those precious blocks, but she wanted them in good hands. Perhaps she would not have been able to do them the justice they deserved. And think of how happy she made this lucky buyer. That must have made her feel good.

Those blocks are precious. I find different backgrounds interesting.

PS. Oh, me! Oh, my! I should have read more of the thread. I now see that you have sold them. Well, you have made someone very happy. I just hope we could see what will be done with them.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

good grief! who would sell their grandma's last quilt blocks????
Is this lady well? her loss, your win! :D
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 AM

Lucky you! I'm sure you'll find something to do with them.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Terrific find!! You could make a fairly large quilt if you put a plain block every other one.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 AM

Hey Marsye, I'm in Arkansas too. I've got time. Send them my way. They are truly a terriffic find. Don't ya just love yard sales?