Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM

My late mother was an avid quilter. When she passed we put the last quilt top she was working on as her casket topper under her flowers. We also hung some of her many quilts around the funeral home during visitation. I think she would have been proud.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM

The 93 year old lady who taught me how to sew has made hers already. It is beautiful and will give her family another special memory in years to come. Her husband's sister made his when he passed and that gave her the idea.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 PM

I haven't read through all of the post, So sorry if I am repeating what someones has already said, but here is a little history about casket covers or palls as they are called
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pall_%28casket%29

And this may be kind of weird but if you do a search on funeral palls or caskets palls there is a lot of really pretty ones, so why not use a quilt.

I really like the ideas too, something that will last. unlike flowers that will be gone in a few days.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM

I love the idea of a quilt instead of so many flowers. In fact, I think my Dad has the right idea. "Flowers should be enjoyed, so give them to me now, not after I'm dead."
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM

A few weeks after a quilting friend died, the family invited her bee of 12 ladies to her house to take what they wanted from her stash. At her wake, there was a basket of her favorite little cookbooks for people to take. They had her notes and markers in them. What a great remembrance of her!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM

I used my moms quilts draped over her casket. I want that for me too. Maybe use some of my croched dolls on top too.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Several months ago, I went to the funeral for the husband of one of my quilting friends. On the casket was a quilt which she had made a number of years ago, which I quilted for her! It had embroidered squares with the Fruits of the Spirit on them!! Very nice touch. That's the only time I've seen it but I like it!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
I think this is such a beautiful idea. The quilt stays on the quilt through the viewing and service then after they shut the casket the pastor and some of the children can fold it and place it in the lap of the spouse or eldest child as part of the ceramony. Sort of like the flag at a veterans funeral. Quilts provide a material hug.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 AM

since there are 20+ pages to this thread and I have not read thru them all I apologize if this has been written by someone else:
Historically there were casket quilts or covers, I recently read of them in a current quilt mag-don't remember which one and don't have access to them right now, but they wer quite beautiful and they had rememberances of the deceased embroidered in them......and many a pioneer who died attempting to cross this country was wrapped in a quilt and buried along the way....
I had a friend who died several years ago who had a display of her quilts at her wake and the history(if there was one) of each she made. Also had one draped across her casket. I had the priviledge of quilting many of those for her.....she lived a quilter, died a quilter and I imagine she has the largest stash up there!!!!!!!as she did down here!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Actually, this is weird. I was just thinking about this last week. I am highly allergic to most flowers although plants are ok. I think the quilt would be perfect and I'm going to add that to my "requests". As they say, I hardly ever get flowers/plants now so I certainly can't enjoy them when I'm gone!
Are you afraid of sneezing in the middle of the funeral service? :-)