Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM

That is why I tie some of them if I cannot afford to have someone do it. I have a walking foot and I need someone to show me how to use it, because I tried to practice and it did not do what it was supposed to do. I am sure it was me and not the foot. smile. Have done hand quilting on small quilts witha big hoop. Luck to you....
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l
Originally Posted by GemState
Marty Michell has a book out about machine quilting in sections. I have done the method of cutting the batting out so you quilt in thirds and it works great!! The batting can be put back together easily with 2 1/2" strips of fusible interfacing. I don't have the name of the book because I loaned it to a friend. It is a great help.
The book is "101 Nine Patch Quilts", published in 2000 by America School of Needlework,Inc.
I believe the book is "Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Mitchell.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by crystaltx
Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Sorry I'm of no help.....what you are describing is why I got my longarm in the first place!!! Welcome from Illinois.
Are there any inexpensive long arms? I keep hearing they are in the 8 to 10 thousand dollar range (eek!). I have a cheap machine that cost about $200 but it is trucking along.
You are describing why many quilters quilt by check. Yeah, longarms are 8-25 K, or more, but for a larger quilt like yours, it is the only way it will get quilted. If I didn't have a longarm, I would quilt by check or tie my quilts! I tried the DSM and hated it.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 PM

I spray baste and then I bunch it up not roll...also check out leah Day...she quilts on a reqular sewing machine.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Don't worry about a few puckers...wash and dry it after quilting and they will NOT show. On my first quilt I was very disturbed because one side was 1 1/2" longer than the other side...a seasoned quilter reassured me that no one will notice...and when it is on the bed, guess what no one can see both sides at the same time! It is beautiful and I am very proud of my original work...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 PM

I quilt in sections. I posted a tutorial on it. I keep my top in 3 to 5 sections, not joined. This makes it much easier to handle as I add them and quilt them section by section to the backing, which is whole from the beginning.
This way works great for me and my regular sewing machine.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM

that machine in the background has a very small throat. I don't se how shes going to quilt that large quilt..sorry
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Check out leahday.com. She will show you how to set up your sewing area so that you don't get drag on the quilt. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 AM

Sorry but if the machine in the picture is what you attempted to quilt on not sure it will work. the neck is way to short. I do not have a LA and I do full size quilt on my home machine and always have... but have a 10 in neck
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by crystaltx
I have been cruising along, piecing my first quilt, but I am having a heck of a time with the actual quilting on my sewing machine. It's so big, it is just impossible. I don't know how I will ever finish it without it puckering or having crooked lines. Does anyone have any tips on the actual quilting process on a regular machine? I guess that is why some of you have long arm quilting machines, they look nice but expensive. If I don't find a way to do this, I'm afraid I will never try this again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have a walking foot and I'm just doing the ditch stitching right now...I am starting in the middle and trying to work my way out, but I can't really switch direction of course. I have the quilt kind of rolled up but I have to move it all the time so everything bunches and shifts. I have about 100 safety pins holding the sandwich in place though so it is probably ok. This just doesn't seem fun =/
I can 't help you there tried it and can't do it either, have been hand quilting for years and that seems to be my solution...