Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do I travel with a cat????  HELP!! >

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

How do I travel with a cat???? HELP!!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM

One successful case of flying with a cat under the airline seat in a small cage: don't feed your cat for a day before, and have some kitty snacks with you, feed only a snack. Be where you can reach and pet the cat, or let her sniff your hand through the cage, etc. to calm her.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM

As always, my quilting buddies have come through..... these ideas are great. I think I'll put one of my son's shirts in the cage to be a familiar smell. I will let you all know how it goes...... Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM

i traveled with my cat from dallas to atlanta and back again. i put a harrnas on the cat and a leash on that. buckled the leash with a seat belt. let the cat roam free in the car, slept on me most of the time. put a small shallow pan on one side the the back seat floor and food and water on the other side. he laid around my neck alot and slept in the other seat the rest of the time. we had so much fun. he loved to ride. sure do miss him. he was my best friend.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM

My cats have always ben travelers, a small litterbox on the floor in the backseat. a nonspill water dish, and there favorite blanket or towel one cat wanted my old sweat shirt on the back seat and they are happy. I do not lock them away in the car, Otis likes to sit on my shoulder and watch the traffic, Had a gray tabbie (gone but not forgotten) that loved to ride on the dashboard, got some strange looks but Archie was everyones friend. Our bank's drive up window started keeping kitty treats on hand for him, got to the point he would talk to me untill I went through the drive through. LOL
Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 AM

All great tips. I've used the harness with excellent results, and have your son put it on the cat before he leaves. Sometimes a cat will fight the harness, sometimes they'll just freeze and not move. Hope you're freezes! Be wary of a break-away harness, if the cat panics and runs, the harness can come off. Get a really good one, not some cheapie. I'd never let it out of a crate anywhere but in the hotel room, because the cat doesn't know you well it might run. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I like the leash idea.... I'm afraid the cat will run away. I have a small leash for my dog when he was a puppy. I think calling the vet is a great idea... don't know why I didn't think of that. My son says she's a good rider so I'm hoping I won't have 12 hours of cat crying.... don't know if I can handle that.
Just be careful with a leash, if the cat is not used to it, he will have sort of fit and roll over trying to remove it. Also cats slide out of leashes very easily. Just try it and see the reaction, that will give you a good idea on how the cat will stand the leash. I would not let my cat out by the road even on a leash. It's better to keep him in a cage with a litter. Once in the hotel room, you can let it run loose.
Also get a collar with it's id in case it gets lost.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 AM

We recently moved from Idaho to NC. I had our 2 adult cats in my car, and they're both different passengers. I kept them both in a very large carrier with mesh screening for the first hour, then opened the screening on one side. One was out and about and the other very content to stay put. Litter box available in the car (I showed them where it was), food/water available, although they didn't use either. Took them into the hotels in the carrier, got the litter box/food/water set up and let them roam the room. They were fine. Same routine every day.

There is a spray you can buy at pet supply stores with kitty pheromones. Very lightly scented to humans, but calms the anxiety in cats. Seemed to work somewhat, and with no
drugs! Not as effective as valium, but safer!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 AM

I travel with my cat to Florida each winter. She hates the trip. I use a large dog carrier and keep it in the back seat. I put a dish pan (Used only for this) of kitty litter in the cage with her and a small dish of food and another of water. I put a small bathroom mat on the floor of the carrier and I keep a harnass on her at all times. When I get to a motel and I'm in for the night, I let her out. I got some pills from the vet to help her relax, but they don't really work, so I talk to her a lot and tell her verything is fine. My voice seems to sooth her. It is a very painful 3 day trip for both of us, but the warm weather is worth it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 AM

A few tips - first, create a travel packet for the cat - a copy of the shot records, use the receipt from the vet, it will have all of that. Microchipped? Make sure the chip company has all of your current contact date. Include chip number in your packet. Have good ID photos of your cat, and a photo of you with the cat. Nothing better to prove that the particular animal belongs to you. Put all of that documentation together in a zip lock bag for the cat's GO Kit (I think of it as a diaper bag for the pets). Have a collar with your travel contact info on it, your cell phone number or your destination number. Put a harness on the cat. Probably won't like it, but oh well, better safe than lost. With that harness you can leash. So now the prep is done. For carrier, a small firm sided litter box will do. Firm, not an aluminum sides fall over when stepped on. I like cake pans, Dollar Tree type. Litter, be sure to use usual brand, cats are fussy, and as little as one cup will do in the travel situation, two cups max, avoids kick out. Take small plastic bags for emptying litter at rest stops. At rest stop, if checking on cat, the litter and water, keep car door closed until cat is secured with leash, or the cat is safely tucked away iin crate - they are quick. Food unnecessary for day trip, always have water. Bedding recommended, either the cat's usual nap pad or even a t-shirt of yours with your scent on it (so that means unwashed). Is comforting for the cat. Strongly recommend a misting pheromone products for cats. They work to reduce anxiety, found at most pet stores, fairly low cost, natural product, and does not involve getting the cat to ingest anything. Feliway is one brand.

I have spent hundreds of days as a volunteer with animals affected by disasters and these are basic guidelines. PM me for more. You can have a safe and successful trip with your cat.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 AM

Very carefully. I always ended up getting injured trying to get my cat in the carrier for a trip to the vet. Once in there, she cried the entire time. Wish I had better tips.