Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Bummer. I have never done that kind of quilting but what a shame for the fun to be taken away with problems. Looks like the quilt is very nicely done. Good luck in finding a way to get it finished.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Here's one more way to quilt a large quilt. I had one 93"x104" that couldn't be quilted in sections, so I basted it with water soluble thread on my John Flynn frame (which was the one and only time I used it - I later sold it). After the quilt was completely basted, I was able to quilt it without the frame under my DSM. This post shows the quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26643-1.htm

You might not have access to a John Flynn frame, but you might be able to have the quilt basted by a longarmer.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
Sorry but if the machine in the picture is what you attempted to quilt on not sure it will work. the neck is way to short. I do not have a LA and I do full size quilt on my home machine and always have... but have a 10 in neck
My machine does not have a wide neck and I have quilted up to a full size on it. It's not the easiest, and that's why I came up with adding sections at a time instead of doing it all at once. LOL that was after the first full size I did. Now I would even tackle a queen using that method.
It WILL work, just take a little more patience and a lot more breaks to rest and relax! :D
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM

I have about half of it ditch-stitched now, I moved the sewing machine to the kitchen table per the great advice here, and slowed down quite a bit. It is not going to be perfect, but that will just make it that much more personal...I will remember the struggles of learning to quilt and the hard work that went into it. All of your encouraging posts and helpful tips have been a lifesaver!

I have done one baby quilt and one doll quilt before this one, both were so much easier and enjoyable. I am also looking at better sewing machines now - I love the Brother PQ1500S that one of the members recommended but I will have to save up the $700.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM

I love your sewing corner so tidy.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Can't help you, but that's a really beautiful quilt! Hope you get it quilted without too many headaches.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I find it helps to turn the sewing machine side ways so the the roll goes through the harp from left to right. This gives you a width across the whole quilt to quilt. Once one width is finished, I advance to the next line across from left to right. Give it a try, you might like it better.
thanks! I'll have to try that!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM

CrystalTX, I know exactly where you are with quilting on a domestic machine. It can get vry frustrating. Here is what I did to solve my problem. I could not afford a longarm so I purchsed a used KenQuilt K623 almost 2 years ago for $1500 direct from Kenquilt. I can provide a phone # for you if you are interested in looking into that. It is not technically a longarm, but a short arm. I have 6 1/2" of sewing space when I first load the quilt and it diminished some as the quilt is rolled, depending on the quilt size of course. But it operates just like a longarm.

The short arm systems work very well in place of sewing on a sit down domestic machine in or on a traditional sewing table. I have seen pictures of special tables for quilting with a domestic machine. I am not sure what you are exactly thinking or but.......
There are home quilting several frames that most domestic sewing machines will fit on. You might look at a grace frame or something along those lines if you think your machine would do that. I don't know much about the domestic frames but a lot of people have them so surely someone on here can help you further with that. Look on your local craigslist, ebay or even contact a local dealer. I know you can get handles, stitch regulators for certain machines, and all kinds of accessories to go with them to make them operate just like a big longarm without spending thousands of $.

Good luck. I hope you find the right soloution for you. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
Amy
Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Doing a really big one is kind of hard. I don't like to machine quilt anything bigger than a large throw. I hand quilt the rest.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 AM

I bought a medium arm machine for $2500, used a few months, and its been great. Can also stitch quilt tops, too if need be.

Wishing you luck!

delma