Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What books would you recommend to read? >

What books would you recommend to read?

What books would you recommend to read?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM

My current favorite read is "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah E Harkness. It has witches, vampires and demons but is basically a romance. It's a very clever book and has some very fun sections as well as a few worrisome! The second book doesn't come out until next summer. I'm having a hard time waiting! (Much better than the "Twilight" series!!!)

Another favorite author is Louise Penny. She writes mysteries set in a small Canadian town, Three Pines. She incorporates some humor along with the grim.

Both authors are excellent!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM

My old time favorite author is James Mischner. He writes historical fiction novels that takes a place and goes back way into time and brings it forward to today all in hte same place. The historical facts are correct as well as some of the characters, but he makes up characters to go into the story.. His books are long, but they are enjoyable to read. I really enjoyed his book "Poland", "Centennial".
Oh, yes, he also wrote "Tales of teh South Pacific" which they made a movie out of.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM

I agree with the above ideas and if I can submit a few more:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Lee Child - all of the Jack Reacher series
The Snow globe by Sheila Roberts
Karen Kingsbury books

when you need more, pm me. I am a librarian that is an avid reader. If I don't have time to have a book in my hands, I have earbuds in my ears with a book on cd playing and my hands are busy with fabric...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
lbc

Thanks, Becca Bear, for asking this question. I am an avid reader and it's great to get names of new authors. I have only reviewed the current page, but in case these haven't been mentioned they are all good.

Fern Michaels, Debbie Macomber, Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts,Elin Hilderband, Richard Paul Evans, Lisa Scopttoline and Maeve Binchy.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM

I am addicted to romantic suspence stories. I have discovered the Love inspired suspence series. They are Christian inspired,no foul language or explicit sex. I love them, of course I love the Harlequin Intrigue series also, anything by Mary Higgins clark and her daughter also . Nora Roberts. For a change of pace I like J. Hillerman, Patterson and Koonze also except for the bad words. lol If it comes right down to it . I just love to read.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Have you read "The Memory Quilt"....A Christmas story for our times by T.D. Jakes. I loved it.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 AM

I read the Red River of the North Series by Lauraine Snelling. It was about the Bjorklund family coming from Norway and settling in Blessing,North Dakota. It was interesting and told of many things they incountered in their lives.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Have you read "The Memory Quilt" by T.D. Jakes. I loved it.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I like the Janet Evanovich books - with Stephanie Plum.

They are borderline raunchy, a lot of fantasy, and - for some of us - laugh out loud, roll on the floor funny.

They will either amuse you a lot - or be a total turn off.
I agree - her first books were hysterical. She has gotten a little vulgar though, and I don't see a need for it. They are still funny regardless.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Because my dear husband passed away, I've been reading alot of books to help me cope and understand things. When he was on Hospice I read the book "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. I would also read excerpts to my husband as he was laying in bed.
After his passing I've read "A Grace Disguised" by Jerry Sisster. I daily read "The Daily Bread"
I'm now reading "Grieving the Loss of Someone You Love" by Raymond R Mitsch and Lynn Brookside.

I will say a prayer for your Mom to get the sleep she needs. I know that lack of sleep causes the dementia to be worse..((hugs))