Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking thread off the sewing machine >

Taking thread off the sewing machine

Taking thread off the sewing machine

Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi Betty!

I was at a Husqvarna class at my LQS just last week. The instructor told us that you should never pull the thread through to the bottom end of the needle. This sometimes binds the gears. She explained to clip the thread just before letting it go through your machine, and to grab the thread and pull it out the opposite way. (towards your spool of thread.)
I have also been taking it off the regular way, so this must be something new and it makes sense when you think about it.
CruisingStef
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I tend to agree with both of these posts.

Originally Posted by C.
Here is what was told to me from two different dealers: the tension discs were made to work in the one direction, which is coming down to the needle. When we (I used to do this) pull the thread out from the top rather than from the needle, we are going in the opposite direction the discs were made to work. Therefore, in the long run it will create tension problems in the future. They also stated it is the number one reason a machine needs repaired, because of the tension. So, I clip my thread up by the take up lever and pull the cut strand thru the needle, I save those pieces in a jar and use for hand sewing bindings etc. Hope this helped explain it......
It just reduces the chances of lint lodging in the tension mechanism. Thread is spun with directionality. Rubbing it against the grain will dislodge more lint than rubbing with the grain.

Actually, the same applies to bobbin thread -- long lengths should not be pulled backwards through the tensioning system. In that case, I think the bigger risk is eventually scoring the metal.

I don't find it any more difficult to snip thread first, so I just made it a habit to always pull thread through with the grain.

Hand quilters are taught to thread their needle with the grain of the thread (knot goes at spool end of the cut thread). This also is because friction is reduced if you pull thread through fabric with the grain of the thread instead of against the grain of the thread.
Prism99
Thank you for that great information
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Though the manufacurers say this the issue is fighting the tension and stress on the needle- raise the presser foot first
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM

When I worked in a sewing factory, I was told to cut the thread above the tension and pull it the rest of the way out through the needle, or next to the needle. Pulling the thread backwards has a tendency to leave particles of thread behind to jam your tension discs. They felt so strongly about it, that if you were caught doing it, you were fired. Have you ever tried to thread a needle with the wrong end of the thread? Same issue, the thread will fray and separate making it nearly impossible to thread it.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM

I watched my mom who has been sewing for over forty years pull her thread out. Granted, the foot is raised and she pulls gently and nothing has ever happened. I have been sewing for 11 years doing what mom has taught me, and knock on cotton, nothing has happened. I even open the side door and watched as I pulled the thread.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM

When I bought my Pfaff 15 yrs ago I took a class, and the teacher advised NOT to pull the thread backwards thru the machine, the Pfaff was not made with that purpose. I've followed that advice and have not had any problem. It seems like a common sense approach anyway.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Follow your dealer's instructions, not what people here say. Your dealer is going to be the one honoring (or not) your warranty on the machine. Any newer computerized sewing machine owner will be told NOT to pull the thread out backwards. And I surely wouldn't tell you otherwise and risk the longevity of your machine.
I would have to agree here. I was told the same thing with the purchase of my 2 Babylocks, although I pulled the thread out backwards for many years on other machines. But when you pay thousands of dollars for the new computerized machines, it's not worth it for me not to follow the dealer's instructions. I also have a new Pfaff, and I will continue to pull the thread out forward rather than backwards.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Since I've bought all my Brothers Machines I've been pulling the thread forward. These machines cost too much to be ripping the thread backwards. When you are doing embroidery you're changing colors often and causes alot more lint than regular sewing.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Most of todays machines no longer have side doors to open. They are encased in plastic where you need special tools to get them apart to get into the tension disks. I'm not saying they aren't good machines, I have a few, but they aren't made for the user to clean and oil. They need to be taken in and serviced.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Hi,

I have 3 Babylock machines....and my dealer said to cut the thread at the spool, pull it out down thru the needle. Yes, for the tension discs, but also because of thread fibers as you are pulling it backwards up the thread....hard to explain! If you pull up on thread you are going against the "grain" of it and some will leave "fuzz" in your machine insides. Especially embroidery thread is more fibrous.

I always cut it and pull it out thru the needle....it's thread!

Bev