Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011? >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 AM

hiponyfarm-sounds like a wonderful day. I have hosted Thanksgiving for years, I have 8 siblings,so at times we have had 40 people. I don't think they realize how much work is involved.I scaled back 2 years ago, just don't want to do it any longer. This year just our son, and a friend of his, my youngest brother and his family, my 85 yr old dad. For me the best part of Thanksgiving is a turkey sandwich about 8 pm, has to be on cheap white bread with butter. having our son home is also at top of list.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 AM

Going to FL for an early T'giving with my Dad (he's 91) and my family. Feeding about 60 people. We started doing that several years ago. Works out great. .We get together and see Dad and everyone still gets to do T'giving with their own families (since we are all live in different places. Then T'giving at my house with my MIL and our kids and their families. Feeding 12 or so. Lots of cooking and eating!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 AM

We will be in Texas in the Rio Grande Valley for the winter and will have dinner with over 100 set up in families. It is always so nice and very decorative. If we do not do that this year we will have a little private dinner on our patio with dear friends and this really sounds like the one I would like to do.

Linda
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 AM

I'm staying home alone and quilting!! One of my BFFs who is now divorced might come over for company but I'm not cooking....lol.
I don't really like turkey so I won't miss it. All my kids are going to their in-laws out of town so this will be my year to relax.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 AM

I will go to my daughter's. She as almost 12 yo b/g twins. Another couple with 2 boys who don't have any family here join us each year. So there will be 10 of us. I give my daughter the choice of what she wants me to make and bring over. Then I add to the list. LOL. I usually end up making cranberry sauce, dressing in a pan (if she decides to fry the turkey), and several veggies and a pie or cake. I like doing it this way because it takes the strain off my daughter having to do the other dishes. The other "daughter" who comes with her family brings some dishes also. It truly is a groaning board and we have a wonderful time.
We get together like this on Christmas Day also.
On Christmas Eve we go to Church with my daughter and family. Then back to her house (which is close to the Church) along with Church friends. The twins get to put their onaments on the tree which I make for them each year (til they are 21!), we have a glass of wine and snacks and go home. Christmas Day we descend on them with gifts and some food to add to the festive meal.
This year at Thanksgiving I am also going to make a felt turkey centerpiece for the table.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 AM
Vat

For several years now I have done lunch and had everyone here and after lunch we put up my "snowing" Christmas tree. Does that sound like a plan? Well, this year my brother has been very ill for about four months now and is in the hospital now for 5th time lately. So, I'm not sure what plans will be this year, yet.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 AM

My daughter and I are going to VA to my younger daughter and son in law's We start out the day with a Turkey Trot, then to their home for dinner with all the fixings. Always a couple of extra guests that would be alone. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about???
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 AM

I will be in St. George, Utah at a soccer tournament with DH, DD and DGS. We will have our big family dinner the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 AM

We're staying home but I have family coming up from Georgia and my three kids will be home this year so I'll have a full house for dinner. I'm really looking foward to it.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 AM

We all go to my sisters house and have our meal outside ( in FL.) As many of the family and friends that want to come do so. We usually have 5 generations there. It is always like a family reunion with sisters, brothers, inlaws, nieces and nephews of the 1st 2nd and 3rd generation along with aunts and uncles. It is a time we all look forward to but, this year will be hard because my BIL passed a couple of months ago.