Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Oh boy do I hate it. I always end up with it crooked somehow. Sigh. I have a king size bed also but it kills my back to use it too.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 AM

I do not like it either. In fact I hate it. I can't stand up for more than 2 or 3 minutes, I can't crawl on my knees and the whole process just makes me out of breath (COPD)as well. So now I have decided to quilt in sections that I can handle easily, QAYG type thing.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Go to susan shamburg.com She has a terrific method of sandwiching the quilt. Doesn't take up much room. I've done this with my last 3 quilts and it's wonderful. Goes very quickly - uses no tape - no stretching of the fabric.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Oh, I forgot to add that I am thinking of using my Flynn frame just to baste the quilt as well. That way I can do the whole quilt at the same time and then put it on my hoop. I don't want to use the Flynn frame to quilt on, because I like the fact the the hoop swivels and so it is easier for me to hand quilt with these poor arthritic hands of mine. And believe me, I don't want to use the frame to machine quilt. blech
Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 AM

I too have a lot of quilt tops to sandwich but don't have the room to do it. I feel bad with so many "quilts-in-waiting" that I could gift for family. I don't belong to a church or and organization to where I could use their long tables for that purpose. Maybe start going back to church again. Think maybe there's a devine message in there for me? :roll:
Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Maybe I'm a whimp, but I let the sandwiching up to my quilter - she provides the batting I want - and she does the work when she machine quilts my top and backing! No problem! :)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

EasyPeezy - That's how I baste my quilts except I thread baste. Hope you will enjoy the process as much as I do. I find it very relaxing.

Add me to the list. I have more tops than quilts.
I use the same method as EasyPeezy, but I start in the middle. I have a JoAnn 60"X30" table. I use metal office clips to hold everthing to the table. If my hands work, I hand baste. But if the hands are hurting, I pin baste. Then I move from side to side to finish. It takes me a whole day (12 - 14 hours). I do mostly bed size quilts - full to king size.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Not sure if another member has already posted this but I've found the only way I can put a sandwich together is on a large bed which I cover with about 3 yards of the heaviest vinyl Walmart sells. It is pretty wide and the sandwich slips around to come to me as I spray and/or pin baste it. I use my rolling office chair instead of my wheelchair to get around the sandwich when I need to. For me, this works well and the spray (used sparingly) does not coat the floor or bed.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Oops, dbl post. Sorry.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM

I hate sandwiching almost as much as binding. Truth be told I'm not that fond of quilting either. The children's quilts I can manage on my JoAnn's table. I used to pin the larger ones on the tables at my adult ed's quilting class but all personal enrichment classes have been cancelled because CA is broke. I have 2 30x60 folding tables to put together and elevate on bed risers to do larger quilts. Because this has to be set-up in the living room, I can't finish quickly enough for my husband.