Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each >

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Seriously??? We all agreed it was a great idea...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Putz
I'd like to think of myself as "fairly" organized and like to keep my fabric in one location in my room in a bookcase (I just started in January so give me time to grow my stash like some of you).

I've been drawn to the different "boards" that are out there where you wrap the fabric around the board. To me, they're a bit pricey if you consider 100 or more of them at 50 cents or so each. I'd rather use the money to grow my stash.

Anyway, a while back my girlfriend gave me some 22x28 chipboard that she had. It worked out great. Yesterday, I placed an order to www.dickblick.com for the chipboard. I ordered 25 sheets and with standard shipping of $7.99 my order vame to $22.79. Do the math. I will get 8 6x11 boards from each sheet which figures out to be 91 cents a sheet and 8 boards a sheet, I will get 200 boards at 11 cents each. I'd attach a photo, but I don't know how to get it off my Blackberry!!
I go to JoAnn's and ask for empty boards. They throw them in the recycle bin, and will give them to you free. I got 6 the last time I asked, and I ask every time I am there.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Just make sure anything you use to wrap your fabrics around is acid free and dye free. I just use the ruler fold method which doesn't add any extra bulk and then I can save that money for more fabric. :roll:
I agree - is there any advantage of using boards other than stacking sideways?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM

I go to Hobby Lobby stores , an they will give you, there paper boards they use for there cloth, ask the person in the cloth dept, an they will give it to you free. sometimes its a weeks worth, I go on Monday around 1;00pm they through them out at 3;oopm, so ask , also JoAnns will ,
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Anyone who wants to use Cardboard, chipboard, Joann's free boards certainly can. But, there are some of us that own thousands of dollars of quality fabric and would prefer to be safe rather than sorry. And most of us that are particular about using acid free boards are old enough to have experienced what can happen to fabrics that are not properly stored. It really is a case of, to each his own. Hope this works out for you. But if some years down the road you experience similar problems to those described here - you will have to wash all of your fabric to remove the offender and re-package onto acid free storage boards anyway.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Anyone who wants to use Cardboard, chipboard, Joann's free boards certainly can. But, there are some of us that own thousands of dollars of quality fabric and would prefer to be safe rather than sorry. And most of us that are particular about using acid free boards are old enough to have experienced what can happen to fabrics that are not properly stored. It really is a case of, to each his own. Hope this works out for you. But if some years down the road you experience similar problems to those described here - you will have to wash all of your fabric to remove the offender and re-package onto acid free storage boards anyway.
The high quality fabric that I do own, are not on boards on my selves....but tucked away in my closet, safe from dust and light. .... i still contend if your fabric "goes bad"....you are not quilting enough
Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by smcfadden
If it's "not archival," that means it has acid in it.
Glad this idea of the boards works for you. I tried the ones to buy, but they wouldn't fit into the cupboard I already had.

smcfadden, love your avatar. what is it about sinks that cats like to curl up in them? mine does it almost everyday whether the sink is dry or not.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM

Try e-mailing the photo to yourself then uploading it from your computer???
Originally Posted by Putz
I'd like to think of myself as "fairly" organized and like to keep my fabric in one location in my room in a bookcase (I just started in January so give me time to grow my stash like some of you).

I've been drawn to the different "boards" that are out there where you wrap the fabric around the board. To me, they're a bit pricey if you consider 100 or more of them at 50 cents or so each. I'd rather use the money to grow my stash.

Anyway, a while back my girlfriend gave me some 22x28 chipboard that she had. It worked out great. Yesterday, I placed an order to www.dickblick.com for the chipboard. I ordered 25 sheets and with standard shipping of $7.99 my order vame to $22.79. Do the math. I will get 8 6x11 boards from each sheet which figures out to be 91 cents a sheet and 8 boards a sheet, I will get 200 boards at 11 cents each. I'd attach a photo, but I don't know how to get it off my Blackberry!!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM

yes but of course it is not usually in the store for years :)
Originally Posted by ccrow99
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by watterstide
Good idea,
but i get the free cardboard bolts from Joanns and cut and use them. you just have to ask for them at the cutting counter..
these are also not acid free and not meant for long time storage!
And Joann's uses them for their fabric??? Hmmmm........
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
Originally Posted by smcfadden
If it's "not archival," that means it has acid in it.
Glad this idea of the boards works for you. I tried the ones to buy, but they wouldn't fit into the cupboard I already had.

smcfadden, love your avatar. what is it about sinks that cats like to curl up in them? mine does it almost everyday whether the sink is dry or not.
I make my own acid free boards, cut them the size that fits my shelves and store them in their own closet style pantry with shelves and the doors close. So, you can make them to fit any size shelves you want. I just wouldn't recommend "chipboard" as it also has glue in it which can start an entirely different problem than simply acid...