Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Our halogen has a two way light in it; 150 and 300 watts, or something like that. When set at the brighter light, the bulb goes off after only 10-15 minutes as a safety feature
Wow, mine has never done that. That would be REALLY annoying!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 AM

ott light when Joanns has them on sale. Great light and I have a couple 1 standing ($59) one desk top ($29)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM

You might be able to cut down on the glare by using a different light bulb.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Nothing to do with lightbulbs, but you have a pretty darn nice-looking sewing room/area. I'm envious!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM

I have an Ott lamp w/ a weighted base that sits on my table behind my sewing machine. It does triple duty for me: 1. It lights around my machine and I can bend the neck so I can aim it exactly where I need it, 2. It lights the table so I can cut and 3. I can bend the light up and around so it lights my design wall which is over the closet behind my table. I think it was around $150, but I bought it over 10 yrs. ago and I'm still using the orig. bulb. I do know I bought it at Jo Ann's and prob. used a coupon.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

How about the new Reveal bulbs, also supposed to be true color
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with glare from the gooseneck craft lamp I'm using to see to cut at my cutting table. See pic below. I do not have any overhead light in this room, just a variety of table and floor lamps.

Thanks in advance,
Quiltgranny,
You can try a florescent(sp) with 1 cool white and 1 warm white bulb in it and that should give you a pretty full spectrum of light without buying expensive Ott bulbs or halogen bulbs. If you still have too much glare try the florescent light with a white umbrella between you and the light. It will defuse the light like a photographer's in their studio.
Just an idea for ya.
:D
:XD:
Everyone here has such great ideas!! Hard to know which one to try first. :lol: I really appreciate the idea about the diffuser if need be.

Thanks so much,
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428

I lucked out. When I finally was able to take over the family room for sewing, I got some real pluses. We had a pool table for years so had two big pool table ceiling lights. My cutting table is directly under them. Also size.... room is 15' x 24'.
Wow! Yes, you did luck out! Sounds like you've got a wonderful space, set up and source of lighting! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy,
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I would try hanging a shop light over the table.
Thanks. I'll check with DH first to see if maybe he has one out in his garage that I can try. :thumbup:
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
When my sewing room was redone last year, we changed the light fixture in the ceiling. My Long Arm quilter friend found a rectangular ceiling fixture with four neon daylight tubes inside at Home Depot, and after she had it installed her quilting room was exceptionally bright with no glare at all.

I went to Home Depot, and they also sell a round one that is about 20" across, and has two neon daylight tubes inside, incredible the difference it made over my sewing table. I took a picture without the cover on it, and had to turn it off - it is that bright. It is just like sewing outside in the sunshine. It only cost approx. $75, but in the US is probably much cheaper. Another bonus is if I'm feeling tired during the day, I just have to walk into that room and turn on the light - makes me feel wide awake again.
Thanks for this idea. They are still quite pricey here in the US, too. :thumbdown: