Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a mini self rant >

a mini self rant

a mini self rant

Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Here's what I use. I cut these for members on this board only. I love the idea of the file cabinets, but in the end I think they take up as much room as a bookcase would. Also, I know the green hangers are not acid free. That concerns me a lot.
Don't know if something like this would work for you, but you can check my feedback and see that several of us here use this method. Just please whatever you do, be careful of using anything that can hurt your fabrics.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-160745-1.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-274306.jpe
Views:	83
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	274359  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM

[quote=QuiltingKrazy]
Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I really really wish I had a better storage system for all my fabric. I have 4 huge tubs of fabric and the fabric is not in any particular arrangement...so when I go looking for something somewhat specific, I can't find it unless I empty all the bins :(

I use acid free comic book boards then they are on shelves, that has made my quilting life so much more efficient. Comic book boards would work inside totes too.

I personally can't afford foam core boards so I read a suggestion to use acid free comic book boards, which you can purchase at a comic book dealer or online like at Amazon. 100 for about $10.00 .

I will admit they are not as substantial or as wonderful as the foam boards that another member here offers. I do wish I could afford hers. I went through nearly 300 comic book boards, so for me acid free comic book boards was the most economical for the amount of fabric I had.

I will try posting pictures, please don't look at the messiness of the rest of the room :0) ....the pictures will show some fabric leaning but that is because I taken some fabric out for projects. I use book ends if the shelf isn't completely full, which is nearly never... My DH took out hanging bars and built shelves across an entire closet, floor to ceiling that is in the sewing room, which holds most all of the full bolts of fabric that are 8-15 yards, plus other assundry quilting/craft items...On the comic boards I've easily been able to get up to 8 yards.

Again, I now can see what fabric I have at a glance it's been wonderful...plus it was fun to go through every piece of fabric I had, some had been buried in piles I'd completely forgotten I had. A lot was donated...boy have my tastes changed! Anytime I can handle fabric it's a good day!

May The Lord Bless and Keep You Safe

Cabinets with fabric folded on acid free comic book boards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274386[/ATTACH]

Book Shelves perfect size for folding fabric around comic book boards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274387[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-274333.jpe
Views:	15
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	274386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-274334.jpe
Views:	12
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	274387  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM

I could sew with you! I could bring mine to the sew in and we both will have to open about everything to find a fabric that works, ot in my case find too many that works so I have trouble deciding which to use.
I seem to work better in chaos/clutter/ and time crunch.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM

You could use Clear Tubs they come in all sizes from Shoe box Size and larger... and you can stack them, you could organize by color...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Sounds like your stash is just like mine was until about a month ago when I ran across a site that gave suggestions about how to cut stash into usable-width strips for storage. Since your pieces are on the smaller size (like mine), the wrapping- around- the cardboard thing probably isn't what you need. Here's her advice:

Cut strips in the following sizes: 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5" (or whatever width you seem to use the most).
From 1/2 yd of fabric, you can cut the following: three 1.5" strips, three 2" strips, and three 2.5" strips.
Anything 6" or wider, store with fat quarters.

Then, when you are ready for a scrappy project, all those strips are ready to be cut into the size squares (or whatever) that you need.

Of course, this takes TIME, but I accomplished a little each day, and I'm retired, which certainly helps! I then put my strips into labeled zip-lock bags by color and stored these bags in some of those cheap plastic stacking drawer units that you can get at WalMart, Target, etc. I am so HAPPY when I walk by my scrap stash now, and I'm motivated to get busy on some super-scrappy quilts, which I love.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Sounds like your stash is just like mine was until about a month ago when I ran across a site that gave suggestions about how to cut stash into usable-width strips for storage. Since your pieces are on the smaller size (like mine), the wrapping- around- the cardboard thing probably isn't what you need. Here's her advice:

Cut strips in the following sizes: 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5" (or whatever width you seem to use the most).
From 1/2 yd of fabric, you can cut the following: three 1.5" strips, three 2" strips, and three 2.5" strips.
Anything 6" or wider, store with fat quarters.

Then, when you are ready for a scrappy project, all those strips are ready to be cut into the size squares (or whatever) that you need.

Of course, this takes TIME, but I accomplished a little each day, and I'm retired, which certainly helps! I then put my strips into labeled zip-lock bags by color and stored these bags in some of those cheap plastic stacking drawer units that you can get at WalMart, Target, etc. I am so HAPPY when I walk by my scrap stash now, and I'm motivated to get busy on some super-scrappy quilts, which I love.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by f rogers
i would get the boards that you can wrap the fabric around and store it in end or on the side . like filing in your tubs i used poster board for some of my smaller pieces cut the board to a 4 x 5 or 5 x 7 or so depending on how big the piece of fabric. and it help a lot I can see what I have now.
Joanns will give you the card boards that had fabric I just cut them in half so they fit my stack boxes
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I fold mine around a 6" X 24" ruler so they are all the same widths....here's my pic I've shown probably a million times & I apoligize but I'm proud of my accomplishment on getting mine organized!
Keep showing it. It's an inspiration to organize for those of us who cannot afford to purchase shelving/furniture for fabric storage.

:thumbup:
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM

I've tried tubs, baskets, boxes which all work to a degree. If I want to remain tidy and organized, I need to never go into the sewing room and what fun is that. Once I start planning and rooting around, all organization goes right out the window.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM

I would fold them and keep colors together. Put your tubs ln there sides it is like a shelf. Thats what I dfo with mine.