Help with Dog PEEING!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM

thanks for the info. I'll have to keep this site in mind if I don't want to bother making my own.

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Holly- (Spoiled Bratzwear) makes hers with a super absorbent material inside (I can't recall the name of it) and PUL on the outside, with flannel against the body. Does not leak and holds alot.

Originally Posted by vickig626
I have a new member of our family - a 3--year old doxie who's pretty good about going outside. However, he has had a few accidents and have considered making him a belly band. I looked at the ones at PetSmart and they're $17 for small breeds.

Looks like they use the same micro-absorbent materials used in diapers then you just wash them. I'm not crazy about the idea of having the buy several of these then having to always be washing them.

The rescue group I got him from suggested making one that has a soft pocket where I can slip in a kotex pad then simply throw that away.

My question on the ones I saw on artfire sites -- if these are made from flannel / cotton, what absorbs the urine?

I even thought of buying premie diapers and cut them up and put inside the homemade version - these would be more absorbent.

Thanks for any info on this subject since I'm a bit frustrated with this little guy. Other than this one issue, he's a perfect dog so I'm not giving up on him.

Originally Posted by hazeljane
check out pee-liminators belly bands at:

https://www.spoiledbratzwear.artfire.com.]https://www.spoiledbratzwear.artfire.com.[/url]

Holly is a rescue person and hers are the best!

The other thing you need is a product called Unique Pet Odor and Stain Remover. You can contact their website to see where to buy it near you:

www.uniquemm.com.

I rescue dogs, frequently from puppy mills- freaked out and not potty trained. These things are a MUST.

You might also try to put some Rescue Remedy in the water bowl. A couple of drops. You can get this at a people health food store. It's a Bach Flower Remedy that works really well on anxious pets.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Most behavior problems like this is lack of exercise. Since he is a young dog yet, he probably needs at least 5 miles of walking a day. Our dog licks everything when she does not get enough exercise. If we don't have time to walk her we take her out and throw the ball for 15 minutes.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM

You might try using ammonia where you want them to pee. It attracts them to pee by the smell of it. I don’t know why.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by lorils
Most behavior problems like this is lack of exercise. Since he is a young dog yet, he probably needs at least 5 miles of walking a day. Our dog licks everything when she does not get enough exercise. If we don't have time to walk her we take her out and throw the ball for 15 minutes.
This is good to know too. I do notice that if I haven't walked Chip (due to rain or my health issues), that's usually the day he has an accident. He really loves his walks.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM

So hard to know but I have a male terrier mix. He had bladder stones which is common for the terrier breeds, especially males. He needed surgery and afterward he was put on a special Rx diet. It's been 7 years now, he's 17 and doing well, no recurrence. Believe this is diagnosed by both physicial examination and xrays. Then again, it could be behavioral.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 PM

I also have a Maltishon (maltese/bishon) he does the same thing...he especially likes plastic bags!! Vet said (and I tend to agree) that he his marking.....he will go outside, go potty....come in and lift his leg ARGH....... but we love him :-)...he wears a diaper when we arent home....all guests are warned to not leave anything on the floor!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM

I used to make my own boy diapers. I used really wide elastic, maybe 5" wide I got at JoAnn's. Measure the circumfrence of his body including his winky. You want it a bit tight but not too tight. Sew velcro on each end so that when you wrap it around his body it will stay on. Then you put a sanitary napkin or an incontinence pad in it where his winky is. Really simple to make. I have also used fabric instead of the elastic. Since we had so many boys in rescue, I needed the boy diapers to be able to fit several different size boys. Make several as you will need to wash them for misses.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM

There is a spray available to prevent them from going where you don't want them to and a spray to encourage them to go consistently on the potty pads-we just got done housebreaking Romeo-our cocker spaniel and it was a great help-took awhile though so you might also want to invest in rug spot cleaner-got them all at Walmart or check local pet store Good luck-it does get better
Old 10-20-2011, 03:51 PM

When we brought home our little bundle of joy many years ago purchased something from the petstore that was like fake grass. Has the color look and feeling of grass but you put the potty pads under it. Place that by the door and that worked wonders. Good luck! :)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 PM

My MollieSue had peed in the house for years, during the night, or then during the day when I got a job. She's a rescue muttly and had been abused in her previous life, so is skitterish at times. I jokingly told the vet about it while there for a different issue. He put her on antibiotics for just in case she had a uti, and also an anti-anxiety pill as he said sometimes they do it out of stress. She's not peed once in the house since, and it's been 2 months now! :) :)