Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts from quilters to other quilters >

Gifts from quilters to other quilters

Gifts from quilters to other quilters

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM

I've received quilted items from other quilter's. I've also sent quilted items (a quilted needle/pin wallet, etc.).
Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM

I belong to an on-line quilter's group and we have made swaps with blocks, mug rugs and fat quarters. I don't think I'd make a quilt for another quilter. I make quilts for myself and my family and occasionally make one on commission.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Just two friends are quilters and one made such beautiful quilts and other items I became intrigued - took a class and got absolutely hooked! I made this friend a pretty tote bag from fabric that the owner of our favorite LQS designed for PaintBrush. My friend uses the bag all the time!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:18 PM

I don't make quilted things for my quilting friends because they are better at it than I am. Maybe other people feel that way too.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:22 PM

I have gotten several things from quilter friends and love all of them! A few wonderful table runners, several lap top quilts, and mug rugs.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM

my oldest friend & i exchange handcrafted items most of the time... and sometimes christmas is in march when it is done & neither of us mind...

i made her a wallhangning for her birthday last year cut out the letters & raw edge appliqued on it "a quilt is like an old FRIEND warm & comfortable to have around you" it came out pretty good...

she sent me a 48 x 48 inch bagdello that is absolutley gorgeous... i hung it in my bedroom because that is the only place that doesn't get any direct sun..

we tend to make when we can...usually because it is something that we wouldn't take the time to make for ourselves.. and i get a smile every time i walk in my room, and i know she gets a smile everytime she walks into her sewing room!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM

I think many quilters may fear their quilted gifts may be scrutinized by another quilter and found "lacking".
Today is my birthday, feel free to send me quilted gifts, I promise not to judge - just enjoy :>).
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM

I haven't received nor have I given quilted items to my quilter friends, but I make mittens from felted wool sweaters, and I give those as gifts to them.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM

I don't have any friends who quilt except you wonderful folks here.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Actually I have both given and received quilts from friends. I cherish all of those given to me as many of the friends who gave them to me are now in quilter's heaven. They now hang or have hung at some point during the year in my sewing room and/or my entry and each time I look at them I am reminded of so many wonderful memories. Last year I gave 6 of my friends small angel quilts from fatcatpatterns. I let them all know they are angels to me now and forever. Giving and getting quilty things from quilt friends is wonderful but giving or receiving something they've made is so much better.
I agree so much! I've been fortunate enough to be the recipient of several quilts from friends, mostly wallhangings. They all have a special place of display so I'm surrounded by their love at work, in my quilting room and in the living room.