Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each >

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Fabric/Stash/Hoard Organizers 11 cents each

Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
Originally Posted by smcfadden
If it's "not archival," that means it has acid in it.
Glad this idea of the boards works for you. I tried the ones to buy, but they wouldn't fit into the cupboard I already had.

smcfadden, love your avatar. what is it about sinks that cats like to curl up in them? mine does it almost everyday whether the sink is dry or not.
I make my own acid free boards, cut them the size that fits my shelves and store them in their own closet style pantry with shelves and the doors close. So, you can make them to fit any size shelves you want. I just wouldn't recommend "chipboard" as it also has glue in it which can start an entirely different problem than simply acid...
Is there a way to 'test' something if it has acid and/or is archival....
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by AmyBaby
try using comic book stock http://www.amazon.com/Current-Size-C.../dp/B001MDF4UA I use it and it keeps everything uniform and it's archival and relatively inexpensive.
Like this idea! What does buffered w/ calcium carbonate mean tho? Will this effect the fabric?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 PM

A lot of times when I buy fabric, I ask for the empty cardboard that the fabric is wrapped around (they usually throw them out)
and cut them in half and wrap my fabric around and store them in my wall to wall bookcase that my husband built for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM

I went to check out the comic book boards. I had to laugh a little. 6 reviews .. 4 were for fabric storage.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 PM

I go to JoAnn's and I ask for the empty cardboards from fabric. I take whatever they give me home and with a sheetrock cutter and a ruler and I cut them to the size I like. Usually that is to cut the ends before the fold (2) and then I use 1 of those to cut the long piece before the fold as well. 4 per board and all free. I don't use the ones from the quilt shop because they are doubled and take up too much room on the shelf with fabric on them. By the way I store my fabric on bookshelves in colors.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Anyone who wants to use Cardboard, chipboard, Joann's free boards certainly can. But, there are some of us that own thousands of dollars of quality fabric and would prefer to be safe rather than sorry. And most of us that are particular about using acid free boards are old enough to have experienced what can happen to fabrics that are not properly stored. It really is a case of, to each his own. Hope this works out for you. But if some years down the road you experience similar problems to those described here - you will have to wash all of your fabric to remove the offender and re-package onto acid free storage boards anyway.
The high quality fabric that I do own, are not on boards on my selves....but tucked away in my closet, safe from dust and light. .... i still contend if your fabric "goes bad"....you are not quilting enough
I agree,...I don't plan on any of my fabric sitting for years. lol....
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM

I definitely stick to the acid free. If I'm concerned about the high price of fabric then I have to be willing to avoid products that will ruin it, whether I paid full price or not.

As for not quilting enough, I quilt as often as I can and the reason I have a stash at all is so that I can find that perfect fabric I bought four years ago with no particular quilt in mind. When I'm ready to use it I want to know it's in good shape and I didn't throw away whatever I spent on it.

If I didn't want to spend money for acid free boards, then I would use the ruler folding method which is as easy as pie. (Why do they say easy as pie? I've made a pie and unless it's Sara Lee it's not that easy. It should be easy as cake.)

My Joann's turns over their fabric very quickly. I'm going to ask the next time I'm there, but I would guess most bolts are gone within a month or two.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM

I ordered the comic book backings and did not like them. They were too thin. I ended up using 2 per each which defeated the purpose. I ended up going to a sign shop and buying the core board like you buy at the quilt shops in 4X8 sheets and came home and cut them. Okay for a make do. The same type of product. A sheet here is $18.00.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM

I wouldn't use chip board for my hubby says it has a lot of glue in it. He suggested luan.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM

I use the student display boards you can purchase at Hobby Lobby when they put them on for 1/2 price. They cost a couple of dollars that way, they are 20" x 30" and they are white corregated plastic. You can also buy larger sheets of it. This works very well for my needs.
As you can see this is a work in progress and have only been working on this a few weeks in my spare time, but I'll get there.
PS... My DH cuts them on his band saw for me so each one is "perfect"!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-274932.jpe
Views:	62
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	274985