Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM

I am an avid Bernina fan and own a Bernina 635 which i absolutely love. I tried the new 830 and ultimately decided on the Baby Lock Ellisimo for 3 reasons..1) Price was more reasonable @ 5,999.....and in my opinion produces breautiful embroidery designs. 2) The machine is VERY intuitive and easier to use. 3) Close dealer support.... I was a bit timid about the 830 due to many of the issues that plagued the machine when it first came out..My Baby Lock dealer is a peach and only 15 minutes from me.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM

I have the Bernina 830. LOVE IT!!! Need I say more. Go for it.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gayle
I have been looking at the new top of the line Bernina but it is so expensive. Would you trade in a Bernina 440 with embroid. module for a different brand of machine that would have the same features as the top Bernina and more economical?? If you have done that, what machine did you change to and are you happier with that one? Thank you for your comments!
I sold my Bernina 440QE and bought the TOL Brother Quattro. I love my Brother but wish I had also kept the 440. The 440 is a real workhorse. Oh well....hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Tripple ditto
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Janome just ame out with a new model that is a msh up of the 7700 and 10001(embroidery machine). It's on $10,000. How I wish I would win the lottery.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 AM

Hi Gayle,
Just this week I traded in my 200E Bernina for the 830 model. I have had several Berninas and have had good luck with their machines. My dealer is fantastic to deal with. My only problem is they are an hours drive away from me which is a bit inconvient. But seeing as I have had very few problems it hasn't become an issue. So far I haven't had much of a chance to actually sew on the new machine because I had to do some switching around with my other machine (Pfaff). I had to put the new machine where my Pfaff was because it wouldn't fit where I had intended it to. So keep in mind this is a much bigger machine and the arm on it (embrodery module) takes a bit more space than some of the other Berninas. All that being said I am really looking forward to playing with my machine today when it's nice and quiet and I have my home to myself. I know I'm going to need to be able to concentrate without distractions. Good luck with your decision. Personally I feel you get what you pay for. Linda from Clinton
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 AM

This depends on what kind of sewing you do the most. Janome is a good runner up for Bernina. Babylock/Brother are great machines for embroidery but I feel are kind of flimsy for general sewing especially piecing patchwork. I don't like the upper end Viking machines because there is no pressor foot lift but are amazing for heirloom sewing. Pfaff are great for the IDT. A lower end Pfaff, the select line, are great machines for general sewing as well as patchwork. Bernina machines are crazy expensive. Find a good dealer that will work with you on the price. There may not be much leeway with the pricing but they can offer a huge trade-in amount for your old machine. Also, when Bernina is about to discontinue a model the dealers are allowed to offer a great (lower) price.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 AM

A good choice is the Bernina 580. It is a mid-range/mid-priced machine and has all the latest technology and improvements. The 820/830 line is three years old.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 AM

$5999 is an excellent price for the Ellisimo Gold. Who is your dealer?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 AM

ONLY?