Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you still have your wedding dress? >

do you still have your wedding dress?

do you still have your wedding dress?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Yes I do have mine, And yes I wish I were that size. I really need to figure out something to do with it. I bought it at a consignment shop in 1981. I did not store it well so it is not a donate type of dress. It is very plain as well. I have seen some beautiful crazy quilts made with the fancier dresses. Also If you are a church person they make christening dresses from them too.

My DIL's wedding gown was plain but had a bit of lace on it and she's having 2 hankerchiefs made from the gown. One for each of her DDs to wear at their weddings.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 AM

No, I do not have mine. My daughter has it and wore it when she got married. She had it cleaned and sealed in a box by the dry cleaners. She kept it thinking she would some day have a little girl, but instead she had two boys. The dress is now 52 yrs. old and I don't know who will use it next, or if anyone will.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 AM

I made my wedding dress and my mom's cousin (she taught me to sew) made my 2 bridesmaids dresses. I still have my dress. Neither of my daughters was able to wear it. One is 6 feet tall the other is much more endowed than I was. I weighed 110 pounds at the time. I certainly can't get into now 41 years later.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 AM

Yes, I still have it and the veil I made myself, unfortunately a critter wanted to make a quilt for its family,it has a hole in bottom of the skirt where it was folded. It is fixable ,but, not sure if my DD will want to wear it . I have my mom's wedding dress, veil and her shoes, dad's tuxedo and cumberbun & shoes.Maybe between the two ,my DD will remake or use parts for hers someday :thumbup:
Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 AM

My handmade gown with hours of sewing seed pearls on it was destroyed in a flood. My mom was crushed, but I told her better the gown than the marriage. 54 years later...still hangin' in there!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 AM

Definitely! I remember like it was yesterday. Found it in a small dress shop, not my normal haunts. Only wanted a knee length so didn't have to go formal shopping, just street dress off the rack. Had to put it on lay-away as it was over $100 so I couldn't buy it that day LOL! But the shop made out well because since I was putting it on lay-away anyway I bought a suit too (jacket and skirt, in PURPLE, that I also still have and have worn a lot in spring & summer ;-) looks just like an Easter Egg!)

I wore the wedding dress again in 2006 with red belt and shoes to dinner to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of our 1st date and I think I could get away with that at Valentine's Day too if we ever get money enough again for me to think about fancy restaurant dinners.

The 'jacket' is attached, chiffon overlay. Picture is a tad warm, dress is really cool white. I married after Labor Day but I figured on a bride the rule didn't apply ;-) Our 1st date Anniversary is in January so wouldn't have worn true white then either but again, I think a wedding dress is exempt from having to wait for Easter ;-)

Don't have any digitals of me in it, but then my hairdo back then would be laughable now ;-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274873[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-274820.jpe
Views:	47
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	274873  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM

My beautiful DIL wore it at her marriage to my son almost 25 years ago. My husband and I added lots of beading to it to modernize it a bit. She looked far more beautiful in it than I and I shall never forget her coming down the aisle in it. She has also been our daughter for all these years. We are so blessed.
She still has the dress just in case her daughter might want to wear it.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Yes I still have mine 53years and also have my mothers from
1936. what to do with them?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Still have mine after 47 years. Unfortunately ants got into it several years ago and made some streaks, but it's still pretty and probably could be made usable again, if anyone was small enough to wear it, that is. I can't believe my waistline was ever that tiny.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM

I burned mine, will be married 50 years next Friday the 28th.