Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices going up. Ouch! >

Prices going up. Ouch!

Prices going up. Ouch!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson

Your local quilt shops will be going up, as the company they buy from goes up, they will have no choice. It's only a matter of time. If your LQS does not, they will go out of business. Times have changed. They should technically be charging around 11.00 for a standard mark up on some of that stuff and are just not marking it up like they usually do so they can move it and hope for volume. Seriously.
This is completely true. And the $11 / yard "standard price" is for prints. Batiks would be even higher than that.

So if you see your LQS charging less than this for new, current prints, then you know they are trying to take the sting out of it for you. Which means, of course, that the shop will have a harder time making their own ends meet in the middle.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 AM

It is just bad on everyone, buyers, shops, stores, workers,
etc. It is a worry for us all, but we still live in a far better
place than others.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by QKO
Not only have fabric prices increased dramatically in the last two years, it also costs a lot more to get them shipped in to the store. Most shops have seen their shipping prices increase at the same rate as their fabric prices.

We've quit buying from east coast distributors and are focusing on west coast distributed products just because of the shipping costs, except for specific items that we want that have to be shipped in from overseas.
And we're on the east coast, so it's exactly the same situation but in reverse. The west coast brands we can't live without are RJR, Hoffman, South Sea Imports & Wilmington, and Robert Kaufman.

With RJR, we have a choice of buying directly from them and incurring shipping costs of about 35 cents / yard, or we can order their products through an east-coast distributor and less than half as much in shipping. (With the savings, we can re-stock the office candy jar!)

But for South Seas and Kaufman, the east-coast distributors charge more for the fabrics than what I would pay buying it directly. Guess what? The difference in price is just about what the shipping cost would be. So it's a wash. No bargain to be had.

Wilmington only sells direct; you can't get their product through distributors so we have no other options.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 AM

If it's something I really want for a project I will otherwise I won't.

I do buy from sale tables whenever they have such but for the most part what they have isn't that good of a quality so I stick pretty much to full retail bolts that range from $5.95 to $9.95 a yard.

I have also learned to start hitting thrift stores and have found really nice cotton fabric for pennies on the dollar.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM

JoAnn's was also bought out by another company and everything went up drastically when that happened. I hesitate to deal there any more.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Canada quilt shop prices $12.00-$32.00 per meter!!!!! And you think you have it bad! I usually buy on line from Connecting Threads.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 AM

I'm another Connecting Threads fan. Also, I get sale flyers from JoAnn's, Michael's, Hancock's and Hobby Lobby (which is opening in our town in 2 weeks - color me excited!). Retirement + recession + more hubby/less money. I NEVER pay full price for anything. The clearance tables at Macy's & Pier 1, great op shop finds and coupons are my shopping mantras.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM

I have seen fabric that used to be $8.99, at Jo Anns, now $12.99 a yard. I think it was the Legacy Studios fsbric. Legacy Studios has put out some nice fabric but at that price I will pass. Three dollars a yard more, for a yard, seems out of line.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM

I rarely buy fabric at quilting shops anymore - go to ThousandsofBolts.com or Fivebucksayard.com. Great quality at half the price - even with shipping.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

I've also heard that cotton prices are up because of the drought last year, and I can understand that, but I haven't seen a lot of fabric made in the USA. I used to buy lots of fabric from JoAnn's, but the last couple of times I was there, all of the bolts that I pulled were very thin and made in China.

I also buy in a variety of places: thrift, Ad Bulletin (local paper free to call ins), and Connecting Threads has a great section of clearance fabric at 31-50% off. My stash is more than adequate, so I'm not too worried, but I do feel sorry for those beginning quilters.

Joyce