Quilt Challenge!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 AM

I didn't think you were serious Tim!!!! Heck, I'll send you some!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 AM

Quiltmaker that sound like a good idea wish i could join on the fun but i have to buy when i get money since i am disable don't have that much scraps THe crazy quilts are pretty
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by annmarie
I thought someone was sending you a bag full! Maybe we all should! :lol:
I appreciate the sentiment... but please don't. I was just teasing. I have enough scraps for a lap quilt or something.... Even I make mistakes. *L* Lots of them.

I suspect you will see a scrappy barn raisin' quilt by next fall, I don't need to go far to find a woman's shelter that can use it.

tim in san jose
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I have a problem...

Being an engineer, I have about 3 square inches of spare material left over after I have made a quilt. It annoys the heck out of the people in the fabric store when I ask for 0.473 yards of a fabric, but what can you do?

It's going to be a long time before I have enough scraps to make a scrappy quilt.

What can I do?

*L*

tim in san jose
Tim you need to cut loose! Go for a whole half a yard next time! The earth won't stop. I promise!
I live with an engineer. I know of what I speak!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM

How do you keep yourself from just picking up random bits of fabric that strikes your fancy. I rarely go out and buy material to fit my quilt, I usually make a quilt that fits my fabric stash or scrap box. Wish I could get my hubby interested in letting me teach him to cut strips, how did you get into quilting?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:09 PM

I have found it best to use some kind of foundation if you will have many seams that are on the bias, or I should have said "not on the straight of the grain". If no foundation at all works for you, that's great. I like to use a foundation because I use ever little sliver of fabric, including bias tape.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
How do you keep yourself from just picking up random bits of fabric that strikes your fancy. I rarely go out and buy material to fit my quilt, I usually make a quilt that fits my fabric stash or scrap box. Wish I could get my hubby interested in letting me teach him to cut strips, how did you get into quilting?
As many on the board know, I started quilting 'cause no one else would make me one. I find it relaxes me. I come home from a busy day making robots do what I tell them to and the last thing I want is more technology. I don't program at home, I don't even watch TV except for an occasional movie.
While I do pick up some stuff randomly, I prefer to walk into the store looking for something I have put together in my mind. Warped things usually if you ask the wimmin around here. *L*

But I like them.

Look around at the threads I have started. You will see some of my work. More is coming after the first of the year.

Welcome aboard dd.

tim in san jose
Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 AM

Thought I'd bring the Quilt Chalenge post back to the top for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM

I've already started on a small crazy scrap- quilt. I'm also determined to use only fabrics already in my stash. Since I do use a foundation,I'll need to use something like flannel instead of batting. Hope I have enough.

I remember that my mother used the term " outing" for very light weight flannel. According to her vocabulary, men's shirts were made of flannel, and they were much heavier than any I've seen lately. Outing was used for night clothes and for baby 's everyday outfits, including the diapers. Is outing still a good term?

Betty
Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM

betty, i haven't heard that term in years but i know what you mean. now days most flannel feels like what we used to call outing. very thin and flimsy.