Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM

No way!! I love my 440 QE but would definitely love to have the 830! I would keep mine though and save up for the big one. I have sewn on them several times and they are a dream!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 AM

Trade your Bernina in for a Brother Quattro. I know it's cheaper than Bernina's TOL. My SIL bought the Bernina 830, and while it's a very nice machine, she has had it in the shop 3 times. And that's since Dec. In fact, it's at the "doctor's" now and has been for over two weeks, and he's saying it will be at least another two weeks, as he had to order some parts. I've had my Quattro two and a half years and have had no problems whatsoever. I also like the embroidery hoop selections that Brother offers better. The only thing I'd like on my Quattro is a stitch regulator. It seems like that would be a great feature. But never the less, I don't think I'd ever buy a Bernina. Wait, wait, I lied, :oops: I do own a little Bernina Bernette for taking to classes, and I do like it.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a sewing machine, try Janome. I have a 6500 and just love it. It, too, has never been to the repair shop, and I've had it since 2004. I usually sew on the Janome while at the same time embroidering on my Brother.

But, in the end, only you know what you can afford and what "feels right". I know there's a lot out there to look at, but, try the ones you may be interested in and see which one "feels right". Good luck!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 AM

The Brother Quattro and the Baby Lock Ellisimo are the same machine, differnt names...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Well GASP....seems like there are mostly Bernina fans here. I too have a Bernina (had about 2 yrs). TOTALLY love it. I had a VIking for 20 years. It was absolutely fabulous too. I bought a Bernina this time because that is the only dealer that services their own product in my area now. But I have NOT had any regrets. It is a sturdy little workhorse. I have the 230 Patchwork. Most everyone in my family and friends also have Bernina they all love them so that is another reason I went with a Bernina. I don't think I'll ever part with it.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM

I agree, I would keep a Bernina, any model or year, they are super great machines....made so well....and having a back up machine is worth its weight in gold....
Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 AM

No, I would not let my Bernina 440 go
but I sure would like the big Bernina.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 AM

I'm with gramquilter2. Keep your Bernina. Berninas hold their value well and you may be disappointed in the future with the amount of trade in money you gave it up for. I have a 930 and a 1230 which are getting to be real oldies now but they are still sought after machines. It is not so easy to get one back once you have let it go.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 AM

I gave away my Red Case 830, to an ungreatful niece and now find out it is worth $1400............how do you say, kick myself in the ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 AM

I replaced my Husqavarna / SE with Husqavarna / Diamond Plus 4 months ago. Absolutely love it! So many features on it that are unknown unless you try it out at a dealers. It is worth every penny even though I had to convince myself to spen sp much on a sewing machine.
Check out the feature at a dealers and see for yourself.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM

I have a Bernina 440, with the BSR. It is a good machine, but although VERY expensive, there are not the bells and whistles I wanted. Last year I broke down and bought a Brother Innovia(?) Laura Ashley Edition. I love it. It cuts the thread, the needle threader is so much easier than the Bernina. The feet are less expensive so I can buy more. It has stitches up to 7mm. I do not regret giving up my bare bones cadillac for a fully loaded Kia!