Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you grow where you were planted? >

Did you grow where you were planted?

Did you grow where you were planted?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:34 PM

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Moved in 1987 to NY to get married and have moved within NY a couple of times. Almost moved to California 3 years ago bu ended up moving back to NYC instead. I will not rule out another move in the future, since I don't seem to have deep roots anywhere. I would love to go back to northern NY but is too cold for DH.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 PM

I was born and raised in Southern California. When it started getting bad there about the time I was starting high school my folks moved us to a small town (500 people) in Northern California in the High Sierra Mountains.

I met my DXH there. He was a small town boy so we settled down there. I loved living in the country and "living off the land" so to speak. My DMIL taught me how to garden and can the vegetables & fruits and make jams & jellies and all kinds of great things (I still miss her). So we grew our own veggies, fished & hunted for food (but also bought a pig & 1/2 a cow from a neighboring rancher). I made my own bread & of course everything was from scratch back then - no boxed foodstuffs - and sewed & knitted the kids clothes & sweaters. Ahh, the good old days!

I moved 2 hours away to a small city (about 118,000) in Nevada near the Calfornia border when we got divorced, both to finish college and get a good job. I'm still here and my 3 children and 5 grandchildren have all followed me and live close by. I live north of the city in a rural area (can't get the country out of this girl I guess).
Old 10-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Born and raised on the county where I live.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM

I grew up in Brooklyn...age 4 moved 60 miles east on Long Island to Port Jefferson (north shore) until age 41, then moved 20 miles away to the south shore. I'll never be far from the water!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM

I grew up where I was transplanted at age 7, because where I was planted we were terrorized by a neighborhood gang. I still live where I was transplanted.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM

we live in the same town we grew up in my husband was actually born in the house down the road's bathroom because his mom didn't make it to the hospital in time. We almost bought that house but it was so small I wouldn't have room to turn around and my MIL raised 7 kids in that tiny little house. Anyway I have always wanted to move away from here but when we almost had a job transfer I was scared to death about adjusting to new place. But I still want out of here its too darn cold 7 months of the year.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 PM

I live just a little over a mile from where I grew up. The property I own was my grandparents' pasture when I was little; Grammie deeded it to me after I married and I have been here ever since. Needless to say, I think I was her favorite lol. We used to plant a vegetable garden between our house and hers; she loved to tend it and would often beat me to the first of something out there lol. Ohhh, how I miss her and my Grampa.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

I was born and raised on the prairies (Canadiam mid west), married and moved 1 province east, then got transferred another province east, had two kids, had a short stint on the west coast, then emigrated to Australia (3 years) got transferred to Italy (3 years), then to HongKong (2 years) ended up transferring back in eastern Canada, moved from town/city environment to an acreage 12 years ago and DH says we're staying as long as we can handle the upkeep (work-wise).
Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM

I grew up in Houston and San Antonio. Really never thought I would leave that wonderful state. We had been married 15 years when husband was transferred to Tulsa, OK. We lived there for 7 years, then moved to central Louisiana. I really had a hard time adjusting to living here. It's a very small town. We've been here 11 years and will probably stay.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 AM

I lived most of my life in the same city, moved about 6 miles from there and lived here almost as long as I lived in the city. now I live in a town. sounds confusing???