Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From? >

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing - those are really some big bails of cotton in the fields. Think about how much beauty and comfort comes from those little balls of cotton.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. That is very interesting,
Old 10-22-2011, 03:54 PM

The Bootheel of Missouri is all cotton. When my son was about 5 he wanted to know what that stuff was along the side of the road so stopped and got him a boll. He messed with that for hours and we had a wonderful discussion about everything that was made from cotton. He couldn't believe his jeans were made from what he had in his hands.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Have you ever felt the burrs or stickers on the plant. It is a shame that our ancestors had others do it and get all cut up as there was no machines then .....THANK GOD FOR MACHINES NOW>>>
Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM

So neat. To think all kinds of fabric comes from that little ball of fluff. It is amazing to me.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Thank you, it was nice to see the plant.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phannie1
I love seeing the cotton fields in Arkansas and southern Missouri. My Mom and her family was cotton pickers when she was a kid. She told many stories around time in the cotton fields. My favorite one is when she was eight, she found some bricks at the end of a row. When you get paid by the pound, she knew if her bag was heavier she would get paid more. Those old men knew how heavy a bag should be and picked up on something amiss. Found the bricks and nicknamed her "the Brick Picker"
My mother had to pick cotton when she was a child. She and her sisters were not allowed to go to school in the fall until all the cotton in the neighborhood had been picked. She swore that her children would not have to pick cotton, and we didn't. When I was 12, my father bought a farm that had a small cotton acreage. He planted it, and Mother and I chopped it. However, when it was time for the cotton to be picked, he hired it done. After I graduated from High school, he let the cotton allotment expire. Neither Dad nor my brothers cared to do the manual labor it took to chop it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 PM

When I lived in Yuba City there was a guy who had a small row of cotton plants along his yard..every year he would put a hand written sign up that said "Cotton Pickers Wanted" I am sure he did it just as a joke...his DIL was the president of our quilt guild so maybe she had something to do with it..crafty_linda_b
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Memories abound seeing these pictures. Vacations with grandparents and a stop at a gin for tiny bales of cotton. Thanks for the memories....
Viewing your quilt block, what a beautiful block or quilt. Are you shareing the pattern????
Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Nice Pics. My family raised cotton in Buckeye and had a gin. I used to work there weighing the cotton trailers back in the day. I have never seen those cool round bales.