Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you still have your wedding dress? >

do you still have your wedding dress?

do you still have your wedding dress?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh yes, I still have my beautiful traditional satin and lace wedding gown and the veil that I purchased both together for $57.00 in 1973. My oldest daughter used my beautiful extra long veil for her wedding. My younger daughter has my permission to redo and use the dress as she wishes when her wedding day comes. I'm so happy they have decided to do this to honor me. :D
Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 AM

This has been an interesting thread, loved reading it.

I haven't made mine yet but have purchased the fabric and the pattern. I have antique satin (it has those slubs woven in the fabric and it's not too shiny). And it's not a dress, it's a skirt and jacket.

Am putting it all off as long as possible because I'm only 23 and the thought of cooking supper every night for the next 50 years isn't pleasant lol
Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Beth33
This has been an interesting thread, loved reading it.

I haven't made mine yet but have purchased the fabric and the pattern. I have antique satin (it has those slubs woven in the fabric and it's not too shiny). And it's not a dress, it's a skirt and jacket.

Am putting it all off as long as possible because I'm only 23 and the thought of cooking supper every night for the next 50 years isn't pleasant lol
who says you gotta do all the cooking???:wink:
My hubby doesn't cook for us, but I have three DSIL's that help out, and your younger than them.
Or, are you planning on marrying an old geezer from the old school? lol!
I won't trade mine, but man, oh man, if he could cook! :D
Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Mine was sewn by me with parts of my mothers and grandmothers added. My daughter sewed hers with parts of all of ours added. My Grandmas gown is really fragile now but hopefully a bit of lace can be added from it to my grand daughters gown.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM

I sewed my own dress, 49 years ago, and when my first granddaughters were born, I cut the skirt up and made a gown for one of them, the other wore the gown that her great grandmother had made for her grandfather, and that he dad also used. I had enough left for the second granddaughter and so I made one for her. I do still have the bodice and sleeves part. It had long fitter sleeves, and believe it or not, I cannot get my hand into that opening any more.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Mine got ruined in storage, but I have a son, so not like anyone down the line to use it. It was pretty nontraditonal wedding and dress, so not likely anyone else would have used it anyway.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM

I gave mine to one of my daughters when I was moving to Fl. I didn't want to throw it away. I think she gave it to a friend she wanted a new one. Sue
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Yes--mine will be 50 years old next July. My daughter wore it a few years ago in a church Mother's Day skit and it fit her perfectly--a little thight on me then, wouldn't fit now!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM

I also have loved reading all the memories shared. I however don't think my dress is still around. It was in storage at my mothers house & she passed away 2 years ago, and I don't remember bringing it to my house. I know neither of my girls would have fit in it as they are both much taller than I am, but after reading all the clever things people have made out of their dresses, I wish I would have made sure to keep it. oh, well. I do however still have a dress my mother made herself (probably in the late 50's or early 60's) It's red brocade & none of us fit in it (she was really tiny even after having children!)but I just haven't found the right project to make out of it yet. Someday I will!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrsk
I also have loved reading all the memories shared. I however don't think my dress is still around. It was in storage at my mothers house & she passed away 2 years ago, and I don't remember bringing it to my house. I know neither of my girls would have fit in it as they are both much taller than I am, but after reading all the clever things people have made out of their dresses, I wish I would have made sure to keep it. oh, well. I do however still have a dress my mother made herself (probably in the late 50's or early 60's) It's red brocade & none of us fit in it (she was really tiny even after having children!)but I just haven't found the right project to make out of it yet. Someday I will!!!
perhaps a really nice pillow for your bed?
You can add piping or lace, applique or just a ruffle.
You'll be able to see it everyday

;-)