Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gifts of quilts >

gifts of quilts

gifts of quilts

Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 AM

I always wash mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Not only may you find aa problem by washing after quilting, but those horrid little threads that you have carefully clipped on the back of the quilt grow when you wash and you'll find a lot more to clip! Also, the quilt relaxes into shape when washed and it helps hid that oooops. Besides, am I the only quilter that has one end hit the floor while working on the other?

Use either the "delicate", "handwash" never the "regular" cycle! If you have a front loader (like I got this year when the oldie died) you are one of the lucky ones!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
My gifts come with a replacement guarantee! and I never wash and have never (in 20 years) had a problem. NOw, having said that... I guess I have yet to have a problem.
This is the way I do it too. Some of the charity quilts get washed by the committee who receives them, so I see no need to wash twice. My gifts are not washed until they've been used long enough the receiver thinks they need washing and then they do it. Well, I did have to resew some seams on my grandson's flannel quilt one time--I have since learned to use deeper seams on flannel! Might add that I also live in a pet free, smoke free home.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I always wash mine, the pets are always trying to help, so I want to make sure no stray pet fur is on it, lol!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 AM

I hand quilt without a frame. After several months or even a year of dragging around on the floor it is amazing how much brighter the colors are when all the dust and dog hair are washed out. LOL
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I wash mine. I like to see the absolute FINAL look of the quilt, along with taking pictures and documenting it, before I give it away. And I love the crinkly look of washed quilts.
Ditto here, :thumbup:
Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I always wash my quilts. That way if there is a problem - I can fix it. Like a seam or to get any marking out. It doesn't happen that often but you never know.
Ditto ditto
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dorian
When you give a gift of a quilt, do you wash it first? I am making 4 quilts from layer cakes, (super easy and fast) and backing with cuddle, or minkey or whatever it is called, I did prewash the minky but should I wash the quilt before I give away?
I always wash using a product called SOAK which needs no rinsing. I guess you could say I don't "wash" per se but I do soak, dry by laying flat (drying on low for last few minutes, for fluffing), then if there is a problem I can fix it. I don't always prewash my fabrics, but if I do I use starch and that needs to be washed out. Just my preferences.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
I usually prewash mine just in case something comes apart! That way I can fix it. Nothing has ever happened but I'd rather find any potential problems myself.
and again. Except the part about not finding anything. I have found a few frays and was able to fix them before passing along.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM

I usually wash a quilt after it is completed. I send mine out for quilting so after I put the binding on it gets washed...you never know where it has been!! LOL